Is it possible to increase the number of coded values when creating domains?

Jump to solution
01-18-2019 05:40 AM
TomLambert
New Contributor II
For context I am creating a GeoForm app via ArcGIS Online to collect species data at various locations. Problem When setting up domains using "Coded Values" (see image 1 below) in ArcDesktop (v.10.5.1) I want to add over 1000 records (they can't just be copied and pasted from a table) to this so that when creating the App the values are pulled through to a GeoForm App. Adding all those values seems the only of creating the dropdown on the app (see image 2). Image 1 - Domain Screen ArcGIS DesktopImage 2 - GeoForm Application
Is it possible to do what I ask (with the domains) or is there another way to link a large table to create the app?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In addition; if you would be able to create a domain with more than 1000 values, how user-friendly do you think the selection process for the end-user will be?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
XanderBakker

You can convert a table into a domain using: Table To Domain—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

XanderBakker

In addition; if you would be able to create a domain with more than 1000 values, how user-friendly do you think the selection process for the end-user will be?

TomLambert
New Contributor II

Many thanks for your response!

A good point about how user friendly it would be after that has been added, unfortunately I can't find a way to filter user other fields which would make that list shorter.

0 Kudos
TomLambert
New Contributor II

Dear Xander,

The table to domain tool did work, however now creating the app I can't see to find the option to use a drop down menu - I go through the usual procedure but there isn't this option.  I'm so close!  I have increased the number of records when creating the service in ArcGIS desktop from the default 1000 to 4000, still no option when making the app.  Do you have any input on this?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Tom Lambert ,

To bad to hear that the domain with more than 1000 values for some reason is not recognized as a drop-down box in the GeoForm. I still wonder if it would work how the experience for the end-user would be. Is it not possible to divide this huge list into groups? I know that in Survey123 you can configure cascaded drop-down lists, which would make the user experience a lot better. 

0 Kudos