ArcMap 10.3 Stops Refreshing Map Image After Action

01-12-2019 02:42 PM
Labels (1)
StevenLombardo
New Contributor II

I'm working in ArcMap 10.3 with a University license, and after a handful of actions (i.e, zoom-in/out, select object, clip, edit, etc.) the map image will stop refreshing.  This prevents me from seeing changes I've made to the map unless I use the pan tool and move the map.  A simple example is once this starts happening if I select by attribute my selections will not be highlighted until I move the map with the pan tool. 

Has anyone had this issue before or have any suggestions for how to remedy the issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Steven,

Your best bet is to single out where the issue occurs.

Does this occur on other computers?

Does this occur with other projects?

Does this occur with other versions of the software?

You may not be able to answer these questions but knowing these answers can be helpful. If it does not occur on other projects, maybe try saving your project as another mxd file and see if you're still getting the issue. If it does not occur on other computers, maybe try performing a Repair install on your software (or reset your mxt template file). If it does not occur on other versions, see if you can upgrade, etc.

I hope this helps.

StevenLombardo
New Contributor II

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Adrian.  I greatly appreciate that.

In response:

-No other machines in my lab have the issue.

-I have tried creating a new project and proceeding through various processes and the issue persists.

-I have not tried other versions of ArcMap

Things I recently tried:

-Computer restart: no improvement 

-New Project: no improvement

-Turn off Hardware Acceleration: some success

It appears that the hardware acceleration is an issue.  As for how and why, I'm not sure.  Turning this off results in me being able to proceed with actions such as editing nodes on a poly line and see the final result of that edit.  However, it does not actively provide the visual as I'm changing the node position.  Shape files, rasters, and ESRI baselayers are all refreshed simultaneously after the action is processed.

The need to turn off hardware acceleration is kind of frustrating since I'm on a 6 month old Dell Latitude 5580 i7 2.9 quad-core, NVIDIA GPU, and unfortunately 8GB of RAM (that was an ordering error on my part/my university's purchasing department). 

What are the odds that my laptop just can't handle ArcMap 10.3?  Thinking back to when it was brand new I don't recall having this issue, but I can't think of any changes I've made that would have prompted a performance issue.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Steven,

I don't think it would hurt to try the other things I mentioned - Repair install of ArcGIS and/or resetting your normal.mxt.

0 Kudos
StevenLombardo
New Contributor II

Resetting the mxt template file seems to have done the trick!  Thank you so much for your time and the suggestion!

0 Kudos
StevenLombardo
New Contributor II

Correction: I spoke too soon.  The issue was kept at bay longer than before.  I'll proceed with the rest of your suggestions.

0 Kudos
StevenLombardo
New Contributor II

I have finally solved the problem. The issue is with the graphics card on my laptop:

Dell Latitude 5580

Intel Core i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

Intel HD Graphics 630

The issue is with the NVIDIA GPU being incompatible with ArcGIS. I don't entirely understand how they're incompatible, but my problem was solved in the following way:

1) Open the NVIDIA Control Panel (a little icon in the task bar)

2) Manage 3D settings (under the 3D Settings tab

3) Global Settings Tab > Preferred graphics processor > select "Integrated graphics"

4) Click Apply

Problem solved!!

It appears that I could apply this setting just to ArcGIS within the NVIDIA Control Panel, however ArcGIS is not listed in the dropdown menu under the Program Settings tab.

-Steve

JohnnyTascon
New Contributor

Same problem, and it worked to me... thank  you

0 Kudos