Unexpected error 999998 when using the DensifySamplingNetwork_ga arcpy function

01-07-2019 12:08 PM
EliseosMucaki
New Contributor III

Hello, I have a Kriging layer file, and on this file I tried to use the DensifySamplingNetwork_ga function in Arcpy. But I got an error:

Runtime error  Traceback (most recent call last):   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>   File "d:\arcgis 10.4.1\desktop10.4\arcpy\arcpy\ga.py", line 888, in DensifySamplingNetwork     raise e ExecuteError: ERROR 999998: Unexpected Error. Failed to execute (DensifySamplingNetwork).

I just ran the following commands:

import arcpy

arcpy.CheckOutExtension("GeoStats")

arcpy.DensifySamplingNetwork_ga("D:\Kriging\KrigingLayer.lyr", 1, "D:\Kriging\Densify_1_200", "QUARTILE_THRESHOLD_UPPER", 200)

I can succeed on Windows 8 with ArcGIS 10.4.1, but the above error occurs on Windows 7 and 10 with ArcGIS 10.4.1 and 10.6.1, which is confusing. I'm attaching my Kriging layer file below.

Could someone please help me with this issue? Thank you!

Problem solved: it's because the layer file is storing an absolute path to the data. So I cannot directly densify this Kriging layer on another computer. Thanks everyone for replying!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
a = "D:\test\KrigingLayer.lyr"

print(a)
D:      est\KrigingLayer.lyr

# ---- you need 'raw' formatting

b = r"D:\test\KrigingLayer.lyr"

print(b)
D:\test\KrigingLayer.lyr
EliseosMucaki
New Contributor III

Sorry I didn't notice there is a \t in the path. I made up this 'test' directory name. I actually used other names without \t and arcpy.env when I executed the function , and this error occurs. I can succeed on one Windows 8 laptop.

Thank you very much for helping me!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

raw encode fake paths as well

0 Kudos
EliseosMucaki
New Contributor III

I changed the fake path.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

/blogs/dan_patterson/2016/08/14/filenames-and-file-paths-in-python  raw encoding is still recommended even for fake paths there are more obstacles in your 'path' so to speak

0 Kudos
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Elisios,

I'm happy to take a look, but I will need a layer package rather than a layer file.  A package will also send the underlying data for the layer, which I need in order to view it.  Only do this is the data is not sensitive and you are ok with the public being able to download it. 

Thanks,

Eric

EliseosMucaki
New Contributor III

I have attached the layer package file KrigingLayer.lpk above.

I can only successfully run this function and get the resultant shape file using the .lyr layer file on one Windows 8 laptop, but on all other computers it fails. I don't understand why. I have some other layer files that have the same issue.

Thank you very much for helping me!

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Elisios

What happens if you use the geoprocessing tool and not Python?

I.e. add the layer to the display in ArcMap and then run the DensifySamplingNetwork geoprocessing tool.

I would also suggest that you use a shapefile or a  file geodatabase rather than an XY layer. I.e. use the CopyFeatures tool.

Does your data have any spatial reference?

-Steve

EliseosMucaki
New Contributor III

It can succeed when using ArcMap GUI on all computers. From the documentation the function seems to only accept .lyr files as input. Yes the spatial reference is WGS 1984 (plain latitude/longitude).

I feel this is definitely a bug. 

0 Kudos