Trouble adding new records to existing map.

01-07-2019 10:30 AM
JohnReynolds
New Contributor II

I have an existing map that I would like to add new records to but it does not save the point or record.

I open the map, then open Editor, start Editing, It gives me a warning that none of the spatial references match the data frame.  I click Continue, then  the  click on the Create Feature button on the Editor bar,  then I select the feature I want to update and the Point tool and add the point to the map. The point on the cursor is normal sized but the point left on the map is smaller.  I fill in some fields and hit Save.  Then I hit Stop Edits and the point disappears as well as the new record in the attribute table.

When I made the map adding records worked fine.  I'm only trying to add more records to this map.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JohnReynolds
New Contributor II

I forgot to mention that when I click in the box on the left side of the new record on the attribute table it only highlights for a second.  The previous records stay highlighted.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What is your data source?

What version of ArcMap are you using?

0 Kudos
JohnReynolds
New Contributor II

I created the data source from DNR records and our own records.

I'm using 10.6.1

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Editor, start Editing, It gives me a warning that none of the spatial references match the data frame.

This is where you should go back and make sure that the dataframe and the input layers have defined, known coordinate systems,.  If you are trying to edit a file with an unknown coordinate system, projection-on-the-fly will try its best to make do with what it is given.  I suspect that the point is there but totally in the wrong spot because of the missing and/or mismatched information.

JohnReynolds
New Contributor II

If the point was far off screen like in Africa wouldn't it still have a record in the attribute table?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What is the coordinate system of the file you are trying to edit? (just to make sure...you are editing the featureclass and not the table)

JohnReynolds
New Contributor II

I just got off the phone with ESRI support.  I didn't know that they would call.  She walked me through the process and it looks like I was somehow putting the records in the wrong tables.

Thanks Dan!  I appreciate you taking the time to try to help.