Survey123 Data exports as choice1, choice2

01-02-2019 12:47 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a survey form in #Survey123, when I export the data into excel, then it gives me choice1,choice2 instead of the exact values. I have used ArcGIS Pro to export the table into excel but didn't work.

Any one have a solution?

Tags (2)
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sayed,

The export tool available in the Survey123 and AGO websites will export the actual data values and not the labels, this is the expected behaviour.

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

One thing that I found interesting within the latest and greatest blog post is the ability to pull the "labels" of choice questions through a calculation. Within the https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/12/02/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-xlsform-fu... there is a section (about 2/3 the way through) that deals with pulling the "label" instead of the "value" into a separate question based on the answer to a previous "select" question answer. You would have to redesign your survey to have additional fields that would hold the answers as "labels" within some "hidden" questions, but I think it would get you the results you are looking for.

Something that you should keep in mind is that your survey could potentially double in size due to the additional "hidden" questions. However, there is a way to cut down on the number of extraneous questions and you could look into using the "NULL" value for questions within the "bind::esri:parameters" parameter of these extraneous questions.

Within the posting What is New in Survey123 for ArcGIS v 2.4 (September 2017) please find the text below and then read the explanation as how and what this accomplishes within your survey. This might be one way of getting the information out of your survey. This will be located almost at the end of the blog post. 

"Null field type: We heard again and again, that sometimes you want to add questions into a smart-form but not necessarily persist any data for that question in the feature service."

Good Luck!

Mike

0 Kudos