How do I create a Feature Service in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
12-26-2018 10:36 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it possible to create services inside of ArcGIS Pro that are not hosted by ESRI?  If so do I need the help of ArcGIS Portal to do that?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenM
Occasional Contributor II

I think currently if you want to publish a feature service in ArcGIS Pro so that it's hosted on your own servers you'll need an Enterprise Portal so that you can publish to one of your portal's federated servers.

Layers published to your portal's federated servers—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise

The ability to publish to a standalone ArcGIS Server should be coming this year, however:

ArcGIS Pro Publish Services To ArcGIS Server

As we are finalizing ArcGIS Pro 2.3 and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7, we are unfortunately falling a bit short of our original goals for the features related to publishing from Pro to a standalone ArcGIS Server.

With ArcGIS Pro 2.3, it will be possible to publish map services (and related capabilities like feature services) to a standalone ArcGIS Server. Publishing will be via Python scripting only, i.e. via arcpy-based scripts.

This is not everything that was originally planned and we will continue to add additional functionality in future releases of ArcGIS Pro.

For ArcGIS Pro 2.4, due later in 2019, we plan to have a full publishing user experience within ArcGIS Pro in addition to the scripting-based experience being introduced in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 here in January. After Pro 2.3, we also plan on adding support for publishing other service types beyond map services including image services, geoprocessing services, and more.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
StephenM

I think currently if you want to publish a feature service in ArcGIS Pro so that it's hosted on your own servers you'll need an Enterprise Portal so that you can publish to one of your portal's federated servers.

Layers published to your portal's federated servers—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise

The ability to publish to a standalone ArcGIS Server should be coming this year, however:

ArcGIS Pro Publish Services To ArcGIS Server

As we are finalizing ArcGIS Pro 2.3 and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7, we are unfortunately falling a bit short of our original goals for the features related to publishing from Pro to a standalone ArcGIS Server.

With ArcGIS Pro 2.3, it will be possible to publish map services (and related capabilities like feature services) to a standalone ArcGIS Server. Publishing will be via Python scripting only, i.e. via arcpy-based scripts.

This is not everything that was originally planned and we will continue to add additional functionality in future releases of ArcGIS Pro.

For ArcGIS Pro 2.4, due later in 2019, we plan to have a full publishing user experience within ArcGIS Pro in addition to the scripting-based experience being introduced in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 here in January. After Pro 2.3, we also plan on adding support for publishing other service types beyond map services including image services, geoprocessing services, and more.

JoeCatanzarita1

HelloPatrick,

The information that Stephen provided above is correct.

If you wish to publish to a server (not hosted by Esri) with ArcGIS Pro, you'll need to use Portal for ArcGIS. During the installation/configuration process of Enterprise for ArcGIS, you'll federate an ArcGIS Server with a Portal for ArcGIS. This will allow you to publish to a server that's not hosted by Esri.

If you wish to publish directly from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Server, that functionality should be provided with the release of ArcGIS Pro 2.3. With that being said, this functionality will be via Python scripting only. Come ArcGIS Pro 2.4, the plan is to have UI implemented where you can publish from ArcGIS Pro directly to ArcGIS Server without the use of Python scripting. As always, if you're still using ArcGIS Desktop, you can utilize ArcMap to publish services directly to ArcGIS Server. 

I hope this information finds you well.

Cheers,

Joe