Entering Surveyor and Recorded Deed information for Parcel Editing

12-31-2018 12:35 PM
davidmartin6
New Contributor II

In the past five months I have talked to many of my colleges about how they enter coordinates. They don't. They are provided with cad files or receive the data as per ordered. Also there is the parcel fabric with it's tools. We at Fairfax make the parcels from surveys and deed description as mandated by our board of supervisors. And we are answerable to the public for displaying their properties. With that said. It is important that we are able to enter our own data and proceed from there to create thematic maps, atlases, and web aps.

In production we use NAD83 State Plane Virginia North FIPS 4501, Lambert Conformal Conic, and in special cases convert NAD27 from old deeds. The ESRI web map is in Web Mercator and displays this as a constant at the bottom of the Arc Pro Map View. So to use Arc Pro we have to import ArcMap layers or Survey Dept. AutoCAD files to start a traverse or line work. (query Fairfax County Land Grant, with its ArcPro base map). We have the schedule to start using ArcMap 2.6 and continue to ArcPro for Web applications.

The Python script for COGO Enable allowed line creation but only tangent curves in ARC Pro. But I am confident all this will be addressed in the future but for now we will continue with ArcMap.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertHarrison
New Contributor II

I too need a tool to input metes and bounds descriptions for a land management business.  Have been heavy into AGP since summer 2018 and generally find it very robust.  Especially like 64 bit, and associated 3D capabilities.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos
davidmartin6
New Contributor II

I upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.2.4 to get any thing I missed (like the copy parallel tool). I enabled COGO using arcpy but could not create the non tangent curve specified in a deed. I am able to create a travers and close. A traverse with curb information that is tangent. But if the run starts midway to an adjacent (existing curve) boundary then I can only describe it by the ray or direction of the starting curve. Because of the way the data base was captured there is not an Parcel Fabric implementation. There are too many line segments lacking cogo elements. I will use ArcMap's Survey tools for now in deed descriptions. And for anything beyond, say sharing or publishing, use ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos