Accessing Geoserver WMTS from ArcGis Desktop

09-06-2012 12:56 AM
antoniogomez
New Contributor
Hello forum:

Is it possible to conect to a Geoserver WMTS service using an ArcMap 10.1 connection?
In other words...  does ArcMap only connect to arcGis Server WMTS services?

thank you in advance

Antonio
0 Kudos
11 Replies
ShamusFuller
New Contributor
Just ran across this post and thought I'd add the following in case it helps:

10.2 does seem to work, better at least. We had to manually edit our getcapibilities xml from GeoServer however to get 10.2 to understand the extents. Our version of GeoWebCache (standalone gwc, not GeoServer integrated) does not add a wgs84boundingbox node since we're only emitting EPSG:3857, so 10.2 freaks out and issues requests for data that doesn't exist. Grew weary of that and simply pointed all of the arc clients to a manually edited static xml file that has the node defined for each layer and contains the extents shown in our GeoServer layer groups UI.

When the layers are password protected, they will not automatically reconnect as the arc server based layers do however. So, when a layer is saved in an .mxd for instance, opening the .mxd is painful, the layer will not show, 401 errors are prolific, haven't figured this one out yet.

The EPSG:4326 encoded layers always shifted in arcmap, which is why we switched to EPSG:3857. Has this been fixed in 10.2? I do not know.
0 Kudos
JaredFischer
New Contributor II

Hey everyone,

I know this is an old thread but I'm in a similar situation, only using GeoServer 2.13 and ArcGIS 10.5.  I'm trying to use a WMTS layer in ArcMap, and I can connect to it, and bring in a layer into the map, and it goes to the correct extent, but nothing actually renders.  After reading Jim's comments, I checked our GetCapabilities document, and it has KVP encoding only.  Anyone know how to add or enable RESTful encoding?  Help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos