Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi  Satish,  Welcome to GeoNet! I hope you find the community useful, we have a great group of people helping each other.  Here are a few places in GeoNet you might find interesting:

ArcGIS Pro

Python

India

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
JamesGrellier
New Contributor

Hi,

My name is James. I work at the University of Exeter in the UK as an epidemiologist. Recently I've been using GIS to assign metrics of land cover (and "exposure" to features of the natural environment) to survey respondents' residential addresses. I'm not completely new to GIS, but I've only ever conducted quite basic analyses. My current work requires me to work with very large data sets, which is a new challenge. I'm not sure what I can offer the Geonet community - I have some expertise in exposure assessment to various environmental stressors which might be of use.

Cheers
James

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi James Grellier,  Welcome to GeoNet! We are working with Esri UK team to stand up a space specific to Esri UK, so stay tuned for that. But hopefully, you will find valuable information in our community.  Here are a few places to get you started:

GeoNet Resource Hub

Product Communities

Industry Communities

GeoNet Quick Tips: Spotlight Search

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
KarenNickel
New Contributor

Where do you work and what is your role?

My name is Karen Nickel and I am the Senior Information Manager at Wigan Council in Greater Manchester in the UK with responsibility for land and property information including the Asset Register, property information management system and other relevant IT systems. I have been described by my colleagues as a ‘power user’ of GIS!

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?

My GIS success this year has been to devise, organise and co-ordinate Wigan Council’s second GIS Day event to further raise the awareness of all staff and Elected Members.

In particular my ArcGIS Open Data web application demonstrations were very well received as we work towards becoming an ’open by default’ Council that embraces data and intelligence to deliver better outcomes for residents, communities and businesses.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I have been working with ArcGIS desktop since 2007 and I am a new user of ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Pro. I have an honours degree in Surveying Science from Newcastle University and I am a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) and a member of the Association for Geographic Information, the British Cartographic Society and the Government Science and Engineering Geography Profession.

I can help the community by drawing on my professional experience gained over 38 years of working in Local Government in England mainly as an estates surveyor and valuer together with my lifelong passion for all things maps.

Favourite Location

52.658296, -0.669268 because it is where I take luxury short breaks with my family!

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Karen Nickel,  Welcome to GeoNet!  I hope you find the community valuable and helpful!  Here are a few places you might find of interest:

GIS Day

ArcGIS Online

ArcGIS Pro

If you have any questions about the community and how it works check out GeoNet Resource Hub‌ or reach out to me.

Cheers, Michelle (GeoNet Community Manager)

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
MarniSwickle
New Contributor

Hi, I am Marni Swickle and I work in Partnership Marketing for a company called Chetu. We are an Esri Parnter in the commercial space.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Marni, Welcome to GeoNet! Hope you find this a valuable community! Let me know if you need anything!

Michelle Mathias
RobertRogers
New Contributor III

I'm a market analyst.

I use ArcGIS Desktop. I have not been able to find any places here to discuss ArcGIS Desktop itself.

I mainly have frustrations and not successes, but this year I did figure out how to write a script in Python to automate a repetitive task I do. To the extent I have any interesting expertise, it's probably using Census Bureau data sets.

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Robert, and Welcome to GeoNet!  Yes, you are correct one of our current gaps is the lack of a Desktop or ArcMap community space. We are hoping to fill that gap soon. But There is there are a couple of places you could look into  ArcGIS Desktop Installation support‌ and GIS Developers‌ and hopefully you have already four the Python‌ space-  it is really active and always experts on hand to help out. 

We are happy to have you join the community! 

Cheers, Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
DominicRegli
New Contributor

Where do you work and what is your role?

Hello everyone, I'm Dominic from Bern, Switzerland. I work for a spacial planning office as a Draftsman, mostly using CAD. The person responsible for GIS left our company a while back, which is the main reason why I'm doing a certificate of advanced studies (CAS) in the area of GIS (OpenSourceGIS and ArcGIS).

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?

My biggest success so far was getting an insight into different GIS, helping me understand the dynamics of the software and the new possibilities that open up for us as a company. We are using ArcGIS and QGIS.

I am currently working on my final project as part of the CAS. The goal is to get information from our river system onto accurate centerlines, in order to get the river protection corridors for different communities. I have always done this with CAD which took way too much time in my opinion, and now I have found a way of doing it with ArcGIS. Although still useless, I am hoping to get there eventually, especially with your help.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I am really just a beginner when it comes to using GIS. One thing that fascinates me is automating workflows, although I am no pro at it yet. So I'm hoping to learn a handful of new things in that area with the help of this community, and am probably more dependent on you guys than that I can contribute anything for now.

Favourite Location

This would have to be anywhere my motorcycle takes me, whether that's on a road along Lake Thun or up on Grimselpass. Many more to come.