Lat/long data that I've imported from Excel to ArcMap is clustered in the center of the map.

Jump to solution
12-06-2018 01:50 PM
JamesWarren4
New Contributor

If I zoom to layer for the table of data, I can see that it is in the correct spread for what it is meant to look like, but it is at such a small scale that it looks like one point when viewed at the scale of the map. Also, it is supposed to be in Maine, but is clustered in the dead center of the map, off the coast of West Africa. Any tips on what might be going on here? I will admit that I am a GIS rookie, so it is very possibly something pretty basic. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Longitude is X, Latitude is Y … stating the obvious perhaps.

BUT … examine your table to ensure that you don't have any funny data, like blank rows or <null> values.  If you do, remove those rows or go back and fix them

Define projection as a Geographic Coordinate system... probably GCS WGS84

Use Copy Features and bring it into a file geodatabase, or save it out to a shapefile if you need it in that format

If you can right-click on the layer and select zoom-to-layer and it doesn't weird out, then you are fine

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BojanŠavrič
Esri Contributor

Most likely your lat/long data from excel has a wrong coordinate system. Here I am guessing based on your description that your map and/or your data is in some projected coordinate system. Unfortunately, this also includes your lat/long data, which should be in a geographic coordinate system. If you know the geographic coordinate system for your data, try to assign it to the data layer from Excel with Define Projection tool. I hope this help. 

JamesWarren4
New Contributor

That doesn't appear to be it- the data is in WGS 1984. Thanks though!!!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Longitude is X, Latitude is Y … stating the obvious perhaps.

BUT … examine your table to ensure that you don't have any funny data, like blank rows or <null> values.  If you do, remove those rows or go back and fix them

Define projection as a Geographic Coordinate system... probably GCS WGS84

Use Copy Features and bring it into a file geodatabase, or save it out to a shapefile if you need it in that format

If you can right-click on the layer and select zoom-to-layer and it doesn't weird out, then you are fine

JamesWarren4
New Contributor

God bless you, random internet stranger, you got it!

0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good one Simon!

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

How did you import the data from Excel?  My suggestion would be to perform an excel to table geoprocess (Table To Excel—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) and then add that table as an xy event table (Make XY Event Layer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop )  It sounds to me like you ma be adding LAT LONG as xy when you really need to add LONG LAT as xy..

That should just about do it....