Why did my information delete after saving it?

01-24-2018 04:27 PM
JuliaAbbatangelo
New Contributor

I was working on the ArcGIS story map program and I created 4 cascades on my story. After I finished the project, I saved my work and got out of the program. However, when I went back on to check my project a few hours later, 3 out of 4 cascades had all the information missing, except for the titles. If anyone can provide any help with this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

26 Replies
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sam,

Thank you for that info! Can you see if you see those missing stories in your Content? If it doesn't show up there another utility I'd recommend to just verify against is the ArcGIS Online Assistant. If you login with your user credentials in Online, can you check if the story exists there as a JSON whose details you can view. 

Once this story was created in My Stories, did you move the story maps application in Content to a different folder from your Root in ArcGIS Online? 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
SamuelEbersole
New Contributor II

Hello Aravind,

I logged into ArcGIS Online Assistant and see the missing stories. The two that are missing on the MyStories page are: Agriculture, https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a49595463ccf4d33bdb488aafe9eeeb3 and 

Municipal & Industrial, https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ae65737fe84f467a84c1c3e1ec68d521 

I haven't worked in the Online Assistant before, so I don't think I know the answer to the last question. Also, don't know what to do to get them to show up in My Stories now that I know they still exist.

thx-

sam 

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Sam, 

Okay we know these items exist now. Can we just confirm that you're logged into My Stories as the right user? Sometimes when I'm working on multiple ArcGIS Online organizations, I can get logged in as a different user and that might have a different view for My Stories. Additionally, one way to know this for sure is if you go to ArcGIS Online > Content and you should see the same missing stories there as you did in AGOL Assistant. 

If you do see them, then i'd recommend clearing out your browser history (just the cached data). Perhaps its not showing you the new state for the website after the latest ArcGIS Online release from yesterday. 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
SamuelEbersole
New Contributor II

Okay, I'm pretty sure it's not a browser issue because I just now logged in with a different browser (Safari) using a private window...and get the same results...8 storymaps which do not include the two that went missing overnight. I have since (with access to the missing storymaps in ArcGIS Online Assistant) rebuilt the two cascades and gave them the same name with a 2 appended. They too show up in the Online Assistant and the missing ones are now redundant. I hope that makes sense...and there is probably good reason to now delete the two storymaps that refuse to show up on the My Stories page. Is that possible?

The new versions that I want to KEEP are...

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=c4c7c932592246088c9a1fc63ac44884  and

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=6d4abd54d27e486698bf6e7baa1ba541 

thx-

Sam

0 Kudos
SamuelEbersole
New Contributor II

Update...the missing Agriculture storymap just returned...it is now showing on the My Stories page. I will delete it unless you want me to keep it around for your troubleshooting purposes.

Sam

AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Sam, 

We just did some digging and your other Cascade story should also appear now in My Stories as well. You can technically continue to use these stories or use your recreated stories as per your choice. We apologize for that little bit of delay in the items showing up. During the ArcGIS Online update yesterday, a few apps created during a specific time window didn't appear right away. However, the apps are all OK. Hope both your stories work and had the same progress as you left them in the last saved state yesterday.

Feel free to reply here if you have additional questions on this. 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
StevenLusk
New Contributor

I to have experienced the same issue of Story Maps gone missing. I generated several stories about 3 months ago and now getting back to them only to see (or not see) that all the Story Maps are missing. 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Steve, 

Could you let us know where you are looking for your Story Maps? So are you in My Stories on the Story Maps website, My Content in ArcGIS Online, or searching for the story in ArcGIS Online? Are the Story Maps themselves actually no longer accessible, or can you access them but not see them in My Stories or My Content?

Some things to check:

- make sure you are using the same account as before (just in case you have multiple ArcGIS Online accounts)

- in My Content in ArcGIS Online, perhaps they are in a folder you've looked at yet.

- In My Stories, you won't see self-hosted story maps or entries you may have added manually to ArcGIS Online that point to Story Maps (for example you might have added an item into ArcGIS Online that points at another user's Story Map so that you can include that story in a Gallery. 

- If you were in My Stories and you got a Page Not Found error, you've not lost any work. Please see: Esri Story Maps - FAQ 

We'd recommend contacting Esri Tech Support if you can't find your story maps and they could walk you through and look into what happened.

Rupert

0 Kudos
StevenLusk
New Contributor

Hi Rubert.

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm in My Stories. I've checked each of the

accounts I have access to and get the same result, no Story Maps in My

Stories. These were not self-hosted Story Maps either. Previously I was

able to save, view, and share the created Stories but now they are gone.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

This might be a good one to contact Technical Support about. I'm not aware of any software issues that could cause that. It is possible that they were deleted by someone who had access to them (like your ArcGIS Online Organization Admin or someone else with admin privileges. 

Rupert

0 Kudos