New Route network analysis to Solve for many paired origins and destinations

11-09-2018 07:12 PM
SibelSarper
New Contributor

I am taking an OD matrix and trying to find the actual routes between the points so the number of bike trips that cross each road segment can be summed. Currently, my dataset contains about 6,000 records of these paired origin and destination routes, specified with a route name, and number of bike trips along the route. As you see, some of the origin points are duplicated as they can connect to different destination points. 

origin destination

My question then is: how do I load these into the New Route network analysis and Solve so all of the origins (which there may be many multiples of) connect to the assigned destination (which there may be many multiples of)? The dataset I am working with only has one point record for each origin or destination zone. The whole city was broken down into small zones and I converted those unique zones (ie. zone 35300040) to points. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

- Sibel

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Because I saw you post this in an older thread, I thought it might be a good idea to link to it here:

https://community.esri.com/message/812364-re-creating-a-detailed-route-dataset?commentID=812364%23co... 

and tag Melinda Morang‌ 

MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

This is should actually be pretty easy for you since your data is already in a format that lends itself well to this.  You need to load all the origins and destinations into the Route layer's Stops sublayer.  When doing the load, just map the "Route Name" field to the Stops sublayer's "RouteName" property.  An individual route will be created for each unique RouteName.

MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Sibel and anyone else reading this thread who might be doing similar workflows.

Esri’s Network Analyst Team is doing some research about customer workflows involving solving routes or calculating travel times and distances between known or preassigned pairs of origins and destinations.  It sounds like that's what you're doing here!  We’d like to better understand our customers’ needs in this area and may use this information to design and develop improved tools and workflows.

I know this thread is pretty old at this point, but if this workflow is still relevant to you and you have a few minutes and are willing, could you please fill out the attached survey and return it to the e-mail address included inside the document?  Alternatively, you can reach out to me (my e-mail address is in the document) to set up a meeting.

Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos