Cascade story map suddenly won't display in IE 11

11-26-2018 08:18 AM
NicoleNovak
New Contributor II

The story map was working fine and displaying in IE 11, but suddenly only the text and nothing else shows up. It works in Firefox.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Nicole,

1. Can you share the storymap you've created with us, if its publicly available? 

2. Can you see if this link loads correctly with the images and text in your browser (IE11): Macy's on Parade 

3. Was Cascade story maps created using ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS on ArcGIS Enterprise?

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
NicoleNovak
New Contributor II

Here it is: https://ctuirgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=be2aff2d79934c1a80e93fd66b91a37b (It's still in draft form.) I working on it on ArcGIS Online. I can see the Macy's story map no problem. Thank you!

0 Kudos
MaureenVazquez
New Contributor II

Hello!

We are having the same problem, all images of our cascade story map aren´t showing with Internet Explorer 11 or Google Chrome, when another user different than the owner of the content is displaying it.

Only works fine with Microsoft Edge.

Any idea why this is happening?

0 Kudos
NicoleNovak
New Contributor II

That's incredibly frustrating. I opened a tech support ticket with ESRI, but their only response is that they do not support story maps in IE so I'm out of luck. I'm just going to re-build the story map and cross my fingers it works.

0 Kudos
MaureenVazquez
New Contributor II

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the information. I'm going to do the same, re-built it but maybe uploading the images using Flickr, Google Plus, or something like that and see if it works. 

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Nicole and Maureen,

I'd like to make sure that this is a reproducible case for our testing. So, I'm piecing together the workflow that you're using with Cascade app: 

1.) You author the Cascade app (Builder) using which browser? - Firefox/Chrome/Safari OS? 

2.) It seems like on every load of the Cascade viewer on IE11, the cover media that you have displays. It's only the media in the body that don't show up - Is there a difference in terms of where the source for these two media are, i.e. 

Is the cover media coming from Flickr or Unsplashed or From your Computer and is this different in how you bring in the files for Media/Immersive section of the Cascade app?

3.) We've ruled out the possibility of IE11's version or security policy of either of your organizations to be the cause since we can all see this problem.

One other thing that I'd like to clarify is that we do support viewing Cascade apps on Internet Explorer. The confusion must have stemmed from authoring Cascade on IE 11 which you cannot do so.

Nicole, if you recall the Case # for the issue with Technical Support, I'd be happy to take a look into this in detail for you. Thank you to both of you for your patience in working through this issue. 

Thank you,

Aravind

0 Kudos
MaureenVazquez
New Contributor II

Hi Aravind,

I kept looking around for a solution/answer and found this post Is any specific permissions need to give for story map images of Organizational shared users? and I'm guessing that´s our problem.

We are using Portal and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5 and we were able to solve the problem sharing it publicly.

And answering some of your questions: we created the cascade app using Chrome and uploaded the images from our computer (drag and drop).

Thanks, 

Maureen.

AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Maureen,

Thank you for that reply! As my colleague Rupert noted in the previous thread, this was a known issue which was fixed in Enterprise 10.6. I was able to confirm both the behavior and the fix in the corresponding Enterprise releases of 10.5.1 and 10.6.

Nicole, can you see if creating a simple Cascade app with some images uploaded from your PC has this same issue or not? If a new Cascade app doesn't cause this issue, but the Meacham Creek Watershed app does, is it possible to give me an estimate of when this app was created?

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
NicoleNovak
New Contributor II

Thanks Aravind. My case number is 02223093. Like stated, the story map was displaying fine, and then after I added some more content, it simply stopped displaying in IE. I added a web scene so I'm suspecting that had something to do with it breaking. All images are brought in, drag and drop, from my computer.

I have another story map I'm working on that is working fine in IE: https://ctuirgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=1c16ffa206244f03953a33b06617df7b. I'm using Firefox to author these. Unfortunately, my organization limits users to only IE so I need these to display in IE. I've been working on these story maps since September, and discovered the Meacham one stopped displaying on Monday.

0 Kudos