Multiple Survey123 Forms to one Feature Service

11-20-2018 12:15 PM
MELteam
New Contributor II

I am attempting to set up a series of survey123 forms that all feed one feature service. Specifically, I would like one form for collecting information on local businesses (address, name, ID, etc) and two other forms that can be used for those businesses to report their newly hired employees and new sales. The end goal is to be able to click on a gps point on the map and see both the firm info and the related reports for sales and employees.

I was able to make a the three forms from an existing feature service (I just called it TEST-MASTER for now) and all of them post to their respective layers, but they post as separate features, not as related features of the firms. I am aware that there needs to be some way to a) indicate the employee and sales layers are children to the firms layer and b) they are all connected by the Firm ID (which is in each form). I am not sure how to do this.

There is an Esri video of it working exactly how I would like it to so I am sure it is possible. I've read lots of posts, blogs, and support videos and can't figure it out. It might have something to do with GlobalID but I am lost from here.

Can anyone provide me some input on this to set me back on the right track?

Thank you

Tags (1)
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yep I do it with 9 forms linked back to a single point now.  See my last post here  https://community.esri.com/thread/221263-mapping-with-survey123-within-a-polygon-or-admin-unit

MELteam
New Contributor II

Thank you for your help Doug.

Just to be clear, will i have to use collector to make this work or is there a solution that involves just Survey123? The video here shows what I would like to do at 1:04:56. They seem to be able to fill out a portion of the master survey as a separate child, which updates the parent as a related record.

In the meantime, I will try to follow your instructions using Collector.

0 Kudos
MELteam
New Contributor II

It also appears that collector is only usable with ArcGIS desktop (please correct me if i'm wrong). Unfortunately, my organization does not have a license for that product. We only have user licenses for ArcGIS online.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The video spot you sent is about the Inbox.  That is used to edit forms that were collected by other people.  I do not think that is what you want as you have 2-3 different forms.  You mention having one form with repeats in it I think.  But I would not do it that way.  Then you would have multiple people in multiple forms and repeats all possibly at the same time?  Not really sure of your workflow.  It can be done by basically taking your 2nd and 3rd form and wrapping it in a repeat in the main form.

I liked using collector due to the spatial side.  We need people to find the place first so it works out.  Then I use collector to always pass the same Key to each form - which is how I keep them all connected. 

If you cant use Collector - You could fill out the key manually and hope or if the devices will have service you can open the map and launch the forms from a web map in the device browser just like on a computer.  Either way here you would use a Relationship Class to hold it all together.

MELteam
New Contributor II

Thank you Doug. I have had some success with relating the records by adding the "parentglobalid" field to each child survey and making it's Esri Type: GUID. My only roadblock now is that i can't seem to do a child form with a repeat (they would need to submit one form per observation). If i add just the repeat, it says "no fields specified" when I try to publish. If i add an attribute outside of the repeat, it creates a new record that is no longer related to the parent. It is still better than where I was. I would say I am at 80% of what we need.

I believe we will be using the idea you have about using the URL callback in a web map where they can launch forms from. The people filling out the repeats will be business owners so they should always have internet access. If I am not mistaken, I think survey123 builds in the Relationship Class when you create repeat groups (one-to-many tied together by GlobalID). 

To be honest, at this point i know enough to be dangerous and not enough to know what is possible/not possible. I appreciate the help. A good portion of your response is being added to my workflow.

0 Kudos