Why are geoprocessing tools crashing ArcGIS Pro?

10-01-2018 06:04 PM
TheraLombardi
New Contributor

I've begun having issued with running geoprocessing tools, but only certain ones so far, like central feature, directional distribution and ordinary least squares regression. Other tools run without an issue. The crashing tools get through the "reading data" stage, and as it begins "calculating" Pro closes without a prompt to send an error report. I watched it in task manager, and the GPU hits 100% when this happens. 

I tried uninstalling Pro and deleting the Documents > Pro folder, followed by a reinstall without any luck. 

What else should I try? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Could be...

• size of the input data
  • the location of the input data

Can you provide details for one of the tools that is causing the crash with answers to the above and maybe a screen grab of you tool inputs

ChaseVanschoonhoven
New Contributor

I am trying to do "Introduction to Regression Analysis Using ArcGIS Pro" on the Esri Training website. Whenever I attempt to run the Ordinary Least Squares tool I get a hard crash the same way the original poster did without any error message. So my data is from Esri and is not to large the data is located on my D drive but I have ran other many other trainings and analysis from data located on that drive and folder structure with no issues. I updated ArcPro to 2.2 with the latest patch and updated my video drivers. Any help in solving this would be great. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Chase I never got answers to my questions so I can only surmise that one of the suggestions was the key.

I have used OLS without incident, so it isn't the tool itself

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Chase Vanschoonhoven Can you see my request about uploading the crash dmp file that matches the time ArcGIS Pro crashed. Having this file will help us see what is causing the crash. Thanks

0 Kudos
ChaseVanschoonhoven
New Contributor

There was no crash dmp file generated. It was a hard crash with no error message popping up. 

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Thera Lombardi will you please check your system for crash dmp files, located at %localappdata%\esri\ErrorReports. The files will be timestamped with the date and time that ArcGIS Pro crashed. If you can upload these files it will go a long way towards troubleshooting this bug.

Thanks.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

From both descriptions, it sounds like they may not be generating a dump file in %localappdata%\esri\ErrorReports

If you do have them, they'll look like 

Out of curiosity, it would also be good to get screenshots of the Recommended tab from the Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.2...

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
ChaseVanschoonhoven
New Contributor

There was no dump file generated. I attached a snip from my "can you run it?" results, just to prove to any one responding I can. Since I knew my Ryzen 7 1700x and gtx 1070 system I built last year can run ArcGIS Pro fine. 

0 Kudos
EricHarrison
New Contributor

Thera Lombardi, did you ever figure this out? I've had what sounds like the exact same issue. I have a super-powerful computer with a Ryzen 9 3950X CPU, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GPU, 64 Gb of RAM, and I'm getting these persistent hard crashes (No dump files) when trying to run anything from the spatial statistics suite of tools, namely 'Mean Center'. I'm also seeing the brief GPU spike to 100% before crashing.I've been through a pretty extensive troubleshooting process with ESRI, as well as with my IT department, and nothing has worked. We've uninstalled and reinstalled Pro, moved the data locally, tried small subsets of the whole dataset, all to no effect. Shortly before we bought this computer, I was using a similarly spec-ed machine, the only real difference was it had an IBM i9-9920x processer and these tools worked fine. What prompted the troubleshooting was when my coworker took some leave, so we no longer had a workaround for Mean Center (This problem presented in early January, but project demands meant we didn't have time to address it at the time). Now the ESRI tech is saying their out of solutions, that it's a machine-specific issue, and we should consider reformatting my 'C' drive. Over the weekend I wiped the computer clean and reinstalled everything, including windows, from scratch. So I'm not convinced reformatting my 'C' drive is going to work. Below is an image of the settings I'm trying to run the tool with. ESRI, as well as my colleague, have been able to run this without issue on their machines. Any help or guidance, from anyone, would be dearly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos