ArcMap 10.5.1 Properties slow

09-04-2017 10:42 AM
JulianJungfels1
New Contributor II

Hi, clicking on  "Properties" results in a wait time of 10 Seconds. ArcMap 10.5.1. Set up new MXD, no big files just aerial photos and shome shapes. 

69 Replies
DanMcCoy
Occasional Contributor III

FYI - There's a patch for 10.4.1 as well.

Julian Jungfels‌ , did the patch resolve your issue?  If so, would you be able to mark Adam's post as the answer?

BrendanWalashek
New Contributor III

Exact same issue here.  10.6.1 running on Windows 10.  Worked fine on Windows 7.  And 10.5.1 on Windows 7 worked fine as well.

Layer Properties takes 6-10 seconds as well as clicking various things inside these menus like symbol properties or Edit Symbol.

As well Customize...ArcMap Options is the same way - a good 10 second lag EVERY time.

Anyone solve this?  This is painful and way too slow to do productive work.  Downgrade to ArcView 3.x? 

MarkusWall1
New Contributor III

I have now set up a new machine with Windows 10 (our production image) and than installed all our needed software. After every installation step I've stopped the time it takes to open the layer properties.

There is definitely a connection to other software products.

ArcGIS --> 2 sec

ArcGIS + GeoOffice Addon (has furher tabs in layer proberties) --> 4 sec

ArcGIS + GeoOffice + AutoCAD --> 6 sec

ArcGIS + GeoOffice + AutoCAD + Inventor --> 8 sec

ArcGIS + GeoOffice + AutoCAD + Inventor + MS Office 2016 --> 14 sec

The increase of time consumed to open the ArcMap options is similar to that, starting at about 5 sec and ending at about 27 sec with the full installation.

It looks like there is a problem with shared DLLs.

BrendanWalashek
New Contributor III

Very interesting.  I have AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018 and Revit 2018 installed on my machine as well.  Also MS Office 365.

I'm hoping it's not a shared DLL issue, because I can't exactly go and uninstall these other programs.  I will downgrade to 10.5.1 and see if the behaviour is repeated.

0 Kudos
AbeCoughlin1
New Contributor III

Just chiming in. We're having similar editing speed issues in 10.6.

Minimizing the number of layers in an editing mxd helps but should not be necessary.

Work-around is to create a check-out replica to work on locally and then sync back into the database later. Extra effort but faster edits.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I have ArcMap 10.6.1, AutoCAD Map 2019, AutoCAD Civil 2019 and Office 2013 on Windows 10 and it is a fast six seconds to see the ArcMap > Options dialog or the properties of a feature class.

Try deleting the geoprocessing history and a state zero compress in the geodatabase.

-Bill

0 Kudos
MarkusWall1
New Contributor III

Is it that far, that we think 6 seconds is fast. 

I have the exact same ArcMap installation on my server (the same where ArcGIS Server an Portal is running). Opening the ArMap Options or the layer properties needs less than a second. The system is running Windows Server 2008 R2, but there is not Office or AutoCAD installed.

I think I'll get my selve a server OS on a VM to run ArcGIS ...

But I get similar times on the test server that runs Windows 7 and ArcGIS 10.6.1 instead of ArcGIS 10.5.1.

RuchiraWelikala2
New Contributor III

Having the same issue. Ever since we went to 10.5.1 from 10.2.2. Layer properties, even right clicking at times, clicking the File menu, all these things are delayed. Tried deleting profile, mxt, geoprocessing history. Nothing has worked. After upgrading to Windows 10 and doing a clean install, same issue. Seems like a huge bug ESRI needs to release a patch for. Absolutely annihilates productivity. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You installed 10.5.1 on the same computer that had 10.2.2 installed?

Have you tried to use Pro for the same work so you can move away from ArcMap?

0 Kudos
RuchiraWelikala2
New Contributor III

Yes, the progression was 10.2.2 to 10.5.1 on Win7. It was noticeably slow on 10.5.1, however, I do mostly server work. My team does a lot of cartography and editing, so it affected them more consistently.

Then a few weeks ago we migrated our workstations to Win10. Clean install and reinstalled all the programs. ArcMap 10.5.1 is still slow. The only thing I restored was my ArcCatalog Folder Connections and SDE connection files. Figuring maybe that was the issue, I even wiped that out to see if a completely fresh install of ArcMap would have the same issues, and it did. 

Yes, I use Pro for a lot of things, mainly geoprocessing. However, even since I got Win10, it crashes when trying to open any windows directory through the program (for instance, when I'm browsing for a SDE connection to connect to). 

Since I manage a lot of map services, I use ArcMap to author and publish those. 

0 Kudos