AutoCAD drawing does not align with ArcGIS Pro location

11-12-2018 06:13 AM
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Hello,

When I import an already georeferenced AutoCAD drawing into ArcGIS Pro, it does not land on the correct location. 

I have used the following different ways to georeference my drawing in AutoCAD:

1. On AutoCAD 2018 there is a Geolocation tool in where I choose the geographic coordinate system and then start to draw. In ArcGIS I add the drawing and define the projection with the CAD Layer Tools Georeference tool to make sure its coordinate system is the same as the one I choose in AutoCAD but the drawing falls in another location way far. (To Set Geographic Location from a Map | AutoCAD 2018 | Autodesk Knowledge Network )

2. I also tried using these directions in AutoCAD using the Arcgis for AutoCAD extension and then added the drawing in ArcGIS and it did not work either

Dropbox - Tutorial Manual.pdf 

I know how to manually scale and move the drawing to its correct location once it has been added into ArcGIS Pro using control points but I need the drawing to fall where I need it without me having to do it manually.

I keep on reading about world files but I don't understand if I still need one even if the drawing has been georeferenced in AutoCAD using the tools they provide. If I need a world file how do I create one? 

I don't understand what I am doing wrong since both AutoCAD and GIS have the same coordinate system.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you,

#arcgis for autocad

#coordinate system projection

#autocad 2018

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Natalia,

What do you mean it is not aligning properly? Are you basing this off of an air photo? And, for the obvious question, are you using the same air photo for both places (AutoCAD and ArcGIS)?

Have you had other issues bringing in CAD data to GIS or is it only related to using this extension and starting when a coordinate system?

In your image dialog, it looks like you're using inches. Is this causing problems and/or should it be feet?

And, how far off is your data?

0 Kudos
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Hello Adrian,

This is the first time that I try to import AutoCAD drawings into ArcGIS.

I am georeferencing my drawing with a new tool they have (geolocation tool) that lets you choose a basemap with a projected coordinate system just like GIS and then I draw on top of it.

When I add my drawing into ArcGIS Pro I define the projection with the one I had chosen in AutoCAD but the drawing does not land where it is supposed to. It is way off in the middle of the ocean. 

I also make sure the units are the same for both AutoCAD and ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Natalia,

How are you defining the projection in ArcGIS Pro? And what order are you doing things in Pro (like open new map project, set custom projection, adding CAD data, etc.)?

0 Kudos
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Adrian I figured it out with very specific steps after trying many times.

Thank you so much for your help.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I am glad that you got it figured out.

Would you be able to list those steps here in case anyone else runs into the same problem?

0 Kudos
NataliaGutierrez1
New Contributor III

Yes sure! I am actually creating a tutorial and then i will share it here.

BryanO_Reilly
New Contributor III

Any chance you would be able to share your workflow? I have run into this problem before and would like to try your solution. Thanks!

0 Kudos
David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Here is some guidance for anyone else trying to georeference CAD data in ArcGIS Pro.

Georeferencing CAD data - ArcGIS Pro

MikeRodriguez
New Contributor II

Hi Natalia, 

I believe your tutorial has been deleted or it appears to be when I click on your Dropbox link. Would you be able to share that tutorial? 

0 Kudos