Does the Data Interop extension for ArcPro get updated?

11-15-2018 05:59 AM
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I had a question from a coworker who uses FME Desktop regularly as well as ArcPro and ArcMap.  The question is this.  Does the Data Interoperability extension for ArcGIS Pro get updates periodically to stay relatively close to the FME updates?  My thought is that since it is an additional install that it would not be included in the regular ArcPro updates and patches, and I don't think I've seen updates released for the extension in ArcMap or ArcPro.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

don't know if it auto-lists, but go to your "My Esri" and navigate to your downloads, then ArcGIS Pro

RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Dan,

True, that is where I've downloaded the current version of the extension.  So Esri will update that download link and possibly notify users to download the update?  I really like how ArcServer has the updates program to notify and install updates.  I wonder if ArcPro could so the same for its extensions?

It is not a really critical issue and is definitely not holding us up on anything at the moment, but if new features are added to FME desktop, how long does it typically take to make its way into the Data Interop for ArcPro?  I was reading that FME Desktop workbench .fmw files can be loaded as GP Tools and executed using the x64 platform.  That is really powerful.  Does that mean that brand new FME features can be run in ArcPro without Data Interop by first authoring in FME Desktop?  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Don't know, I never get notifications for extensions.  When I get one for Pro, I just troll that site and see if anything else has appeared.  I doubt that that particular one would follow in step with FME, your regional sales rep might be the person to contact

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Richard

Data Interoperability is updated at each release of ArcGIS and we use the latest released FME engine available at the time.  ArcGIS adheres to semantic versioning (the major/minor/patch numbers in the About > Product Information backstage area); a new engine would normally only go out at a major or minor Pro release, patch releases generally will not signal the availability of a new Data Interoperability install.

Regards