PublishingToolsEx, SyncToolsEx... What are the *Ex services?

08-15-2018 10:26 AM
MatthewLofgren
Occasional Contributor

Server 10.5.1

Whats the difference between the PublishingTools, SyncTools, CachingTools and their Ex versions inside the System folder?

I now know that PublishingToolsEx is required to register a data connection with the data store, but I cant find any documentation on what these do exactly.

The reason I ask is because I was troubleshooting an issue where I couldn't register a new data connection. I noticed the logs mentioned something about not finding the service PublishingToolsEx. I didn't have one. I then found Problem: Publishing a feature service to ArcGIS Server fails after ArcGIS Server is upgraded 

I had recently upgraded to 10.5.1 from 10.4.1, so I guess that explained my issue. I recreated the PublishingToolsEx service as described in the article. I poked around the web and found that there should be other *Ex services as well. What are these? Do I need to bother recreating the Sync and Caching ones? If so, do the instructions for PublishingToolsEx work? e.g. SyncTools - Just change the name to SyncToolsEx and provider to ArcObjects11 ?

1. Paste the JSON script copied in step 3 and replace "serviceName": "PublishingTools" with "serviceName": "PublishingToolsEx" and "provider"."ArcObjects" with "provider"."ArcObjects11".

Thanks,

Matt

5 Replies
CarlosNantes
New Contributor III

I have similar issue. After upgrading arcgis server (portal and datastore)  from 10.4 to 10.5.1 some of theses services are missing.

I recently had a problem to unregister datastore from arcgis manager because the service in Utilities\GeocodingTools was missing. After recreating the service the problem was solved. But I still have some of theses System\* services missing. 

Some people are having problem in the process of upgrading from version 10.4 to 10.5.1 (as seen here ArcGIS 10.4.1 to 10.5 Upgrade Failed: REST handler inaccessible... ), I'm wondering if this is related to these missing services.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Did anyone figure out the answer to "Whats the difference between the PublishingTools, SyncTools, CachingTools and their Ex versions inside the System folder?"

MatthewLofgren
Occasional Contributor

I never found any additional information about these services...

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Where were you looking to find PublishingTools, SyncTools, CachingTools Ex versions?  These services do not show up in ArcGIS Server Manager website, but you can view and administer them through the ArcGIS Server admin website.

I found this out from the following thread which was very helpful in providing this information as I do not recall seeing this mentioned in ESRI documentation:

https://community.esri.com/thread/236649-map-service-fails-to-publish-in-pro-24

0 Kudos
RyanMolumby
Esri Contributor

I believe they are used to link some of the source code dependencies on the back end, including JAR files. If they are missing, you can rebuild them from an existing PublishingToolsEx, CachingToolsEx, etc. JSON from the ArcGIS Server Administrator.