Importing .obj into ArcGIS Pro

09-06-2018 11:35 AM
StevenFernandez
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've have been at it for 2  years now and I can't for the life of me import a 3D model generated from different modeling applications.  I've tried straight from Geomagic, which always has axis issues, no matter what rotation I apply.  I've tried from mesh lab, same issue and I loose the texture in that process.  Anyone have usable import instructions for .obj or 3ds?

Thank you,

Steve  

Tags (3)
22 Replies
ZachJaffe2
New Contributor

William MorrishSteven Fernandez

My Issue was the title of my SLPK had "()" in it, so iwas able to upload it, but not publish it. Silly mistake

You mentioned that when exported from Pix4D to an SLPK it is converted to a WGS 84, but when I try to add it to Arc Scene online, I get "Scene Layer has an unsupported vertical coordinate system. The vertical units of the layer must match the horizontal units (meters)." 

So only the XY is converted, but not the Z coordinate system? Is this something that needs to be edited in Pix4?

0 Kudos
JenniferCroteau
New Contributor

Hi Steve,

It's been a few year, so hopefully you've resolved these issues, but for others (like myself) having the same problems here is what I've found to work.

To add textures to the 3D model in ArcPro:
Edit > Multipatch Texture (under "reshape" tools) > select the entire model (mine is sectioned) > Select your texture. I have been using the Texture .Tifs that were generated in Agisoft when I  created the model, but it looks like .jpg and .pngs are also acceptable. 

Hope this helps anyone!

0 Kudos
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I logged a bug for this and Esri claimed in was not reproducible. 

0 Kudos