Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
DerekGGWP
New Contributor

Where do you work and what is your role?

My name is Derek, I'm a graduate student in Georgia Tech. Currently, I am still learning GIS and working on my Master's of GIST degree. 

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?

Mostly, I use Arcmap. But this year I am learning python and arcpy. For visualization, I am using Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Tableau, etc.  

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

I had experience on database construction, mapping via Arcmap, network analysis. I always hope to combine ArcGIS and 911 emergency incidents, because I am also a NREMT. I hope to design a feature that can live track incidents, predict the trend via big data, and provide any relocations of manpower of emergency departments before the accidents really happens. 

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Derek, Welcome to GeoNet! Hopefully, you will find our community a helpful place to find answers, ask questions, connect with other GIS professionals! 

Here are a few places to check out 

Python‌ (this is one of our most active places in the community, so don't hesitate to  ask a question as you five further into your Python education)

Network Analyst

Esri Training

and to help you navigate the community these two quick videos should get you started:

GeoNet Quick Tips: Spotlight Search

GeoNet Home Page Video

Good Luck! 

Michelle Mathias
JonathanPriddey
New Contributor

Where do you work and what is your role?

Hi, I'm Jonathan, I'm an environmental monitoring officer for the Environment Agency in the UK. I use GIS for visualising monitoring programmes in relation to environmental pressures. I seek to use GIS as the portal to other sources of information.

What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use?

My big success so far has been getting to grips with Arc10 (my organisations latest version) on a virtual desktop. I have also learned to publish and share maps via an internal esri online portal that we have called enterprise which is only for distribution to internal staff.

What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

My expertise is analysing and interpreting ecological data in freshwater systems, my GIS skills are basic but I have some rather ambitious ideas for integrating GIS with our databases and analysis software that is way beyond my current capabilities.

Favourite Location

51.3610° N, 1.0243° E
where I currently live
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hello Jonathan , Welcome to GeoNet, the Esri Community!  We have a lot of helpful resources and people in our community and I hope you find it valuable. We will be launching an Esri UK space later this year, so stay tuned for that. In the meantime here are a few places in our community that you might find useful.

ArcGIS Enterprise

Water Utilities

Ocean Sciences

and to help you navigate the community these two quick videos should get you started:

Video Link : 4585

Video Link : 4644

Don't hesitate to ask a question in the community if you can't find what you are looking for.

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
ChristopherGreen
New Contributor

Hello, My name is Christopher Green, and I am happy to join the ESRI community!

• I work at the Mass Audubon Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary. My position title is Volunteer Coordinator. My background in science communication and media production gets me involved in our exhibit hall as well as other projects.
  • No big GIS success for me yet this year. I am working on a proof-of-concept project to incorporate Story Maps into our exhibit hall kiosk touchscreens.
  • I am a content producer and manager. I have experience with a wide range of media production and content management software and best practices. I have experience applying this knowledge in the realm of science communication.

If you have specific knowledge about incorporating Story Maps into exhibit space touchscreens, I would love to hear from you!

Best, Chris

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Chris, Welcome to GeoNet! We are happy you are here!

if you haven't discovered it yet, you might find the Story Maps‌ space of use in your work.  Also some helpful links: 

GeoNet Resource Hub

Product Communities

Industry Communities

Video Link : 4585

Cheers!

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
ToddStewart
New Contributor

Good day!  My name is Todd Stewart. I am the new Director of AppDev at Heartland Co-op in West Des Moines, Iowa.  I'm a complete newbie to GIS. but eager to learn.  Lucky for me I have several great GIS pros working on a new Work Order Dispatch system for Advanced Agronomy application. Any guidance on were to start my GIS learning would be greatly appreciated. 

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Todd Stewart,  Welcome to the GeoNet community and to GIS!  This is a great community of GIS professionals, Esri Staff, partners, and distributors. All eager to help each other. So don't hesitate to ask any questions. I have referenced a few places in GoeNEt that might be of use to get you started.

New to GIS

Product Communities

Industry Communities

Developer Communities

to learn more about GeoNet and how to navigate check out:

GeoNet Resource Hub

Best of luck in your new position!

Cheers,

Michelle

Michelle Mathias
SatishMogarkar2
New Contributor II

t

Thanks Todd, Looking forward.

0 Kudos
SatishMogarkar2
New Contributor II

Hello All, I am Satish Mogarkar from Mumbai, India. Currently working as Sr. Technical Analyst in HERE Solutions India Pvt Ltd, I have 16+ experience in GIS,Mapping and Photogrammetry platform. I am user of ESRI since 7.2 and ArcView 3.2. Now using ArcGIS Pro. My role is to create Model and Scrip using Python but I have no programming knowledge, Looking forward your support on this thanks.