Unable to Join 2 instances of Portal for ArcGIS

07-21-2017 10:38 AM
MwalimuKaranja
New Contributor II

We are currently doing a high availability installation of ArcGIS Enterprise and keep running into a few installation issues with the joining of the portals. We are using an ArcGIS Enterprise Advanced License to license both portals but keep getting the following error:

The two machines are licensed differently. Ensure both machines use the same level of licensing

The only problem here is that we are using the EXACT same license on both machines which used the exact same setup. Could anyone offer some suggestions on why this might be happening as well as assist in helping chart  a solution for the same?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
BrianLeroux
Occasional Contributor III

Any update on this? Setting up 10.6.1 and portal for the first time and ran into this issue. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If the licenses are identical from the keycodes file, then it's likely the time zones of the machines are different. Make sure that the time zone on each Portal machine is identical.

0 Kudos
BrianLeroux

The time zones on my machnes are different as they are located in different time zones. Seems like a bug if that actually matters. However, I did try changing the time zones to match with no luck. ESRI support tried to help and we could not solve the issue. Had to due redundant server on same site which is not what we wanted but have no choice.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I would agree that it's something we need to address in the software, but I would advise against joining two machines that are not in the same data center or geographic area. There is a significant amount of chatter between the portals to keep components in sync and any latency or distance between the machines is going to be a problem. If you're interested in geographic redundancy, set up a separate environment in the other data center and use the WebGIS DR Tool to replicate data and content to the standby site. 

Disaster recovery and replication—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

MichaelRobb

both machines on UTC?  (it is a good habit regardless).  

0 Kudos
BrianLeroux

No, we do not configure our server to UTC. That is an architecture decision beyond my control.

0 Kudos