Create a new project without creating a new geodatabase?

10-15-2018 10:05 AM
David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

What is the status of being able to create a new project without having to create a new geodatabase?  In my organization we have standard geodatabases that contain commonly used layer files.  They are very handy in creating simple workflows and making sure that all analysts are using the same data.

Many times we just want to create a new project and connect to an existing geodatabase.  When is that feature coming?

I like the concept of the project, I think it is a great way to organize several maps and layouts into one area/file, but what happened to the good old days of just being able to start Arc, connect to an existing geodatabase, and get right to work?  It is really redundant to have to create a new project, then change the connection to the current geodatabase, then delete the newly created geodatabase and all the other files it created: a folder, a toolbox, ImportLog, Index, etc.

I go through more projects than cups of coffee Gibbs drinks in a day

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your options so far

ArcGIS Ideas‌ for anything else that isn't there or you want

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Use a template with your SDE/Server Connections. However, if you're supporting a large organization, where folks may or may not have access to C drive, or it's called something else, etc....you'll need a separate template for each location/environment. But, you'll then notice that using a template with those connections will create SDE/SVR connection files in each project folder, over and over and over again. I can easily bang through 20-30 new projects a day, using Pro like you say we should (like Arc: Open up the program, do something, save it so some other user can do something later). The amount of unnecessary file duplication is not-sustainable, and something I hope ESRI addresses.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
...but what happened to the good old days of just being able to start Arc, connect to an existing geodatabase, and get right to work? 

https://community.esri.com/ideas/9992 is coming in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.