"...Does not have a valid license manager" after upgrade to License Manager 10.3

05-15-2015 08:46 AM
RZ
by
New Contributor

I performed an upgrade to license manager 10.3 on my license server recently. I know it must not be any security issue or anything like that because 10.2 was working perfectly. Whenever I try to connect from a client machine I get the following error message:

"my_server does not have a valid License Manager. Please enter a valid License Manager Server."

The license manager is running, I've authorized all of my licenses, I'm using a 10.3 client to try to connect, I also tried it with a 10.2 client and no luck. All of the licenses are showing up in the manager with the correct version (10.1 - 10.3) under Availability.

I've tried putting the server name in my client ArcGIS Administrator by IP address, port@hostname, hostname... etc.... nothing works.

The only thing suspicious that I have noticed on the server under diagnostics - log is that the socket interface is IPv6. I am not sure how to change that to IPv4. I have a working license manager and the interface is set to IPv4. IPv6 is also disabled on this server...

Any help would be appreciated - thanks

Ric Z.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

This sounds like a port conflict, what does your service.txt file look like? this file is located typically at C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\License10.3\bin.

0 Kudos
ThomasPemberton
New Contributor II

I figured out the problem (at least in my case).  I used sysinternals TCPView to find that someone had installed another Flexlm based product on the licensing server and did not properly configure or document which port it was using.  As a result it was trying to grab the same port that ArcGIS was using.  Once I set it to use a different port ArcGIS is working fine.

~Tom

mattwilkie
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you Tom!  What made this particular issue hard to solve for us was that some machines in the network had no trouble connecting to the ArcGIS License server, while others couldn't. There was no apparent rhyme or reason to it. Eventually I learned it was because the workstations which defaulted to IPv6 routing found the ArcGIS license when knocking on door 2700, while the IPv4 default machines would get Integraph. TCPview was instrumental in sorting that out.

Note to searchers: also see related ArcGIS License Manager: FlexNet Licensing Error -97, 121

SabyasachiMaiti
New Contributor

Dear Dr. Thomas

I had recent upgradation of ArcGIS MLK. In my old MLK (key no. 37103927), we had total licenses of 30. Somehow, the vendor is frauded with 1 ArcInfo license, with decorated sales language. Even, they are intentionally delaying online request of license transfer into license manager. Today during upgradation, they informed that extensions will not be available during upgradation. I am frustrated to deal with ESRI-India team. I mailed several times inservice@esri.com; but there was no reply.

Can you please help me to overcome situation with correct and honest information?

Regards

Prof. Maiti

0 Kudos
ITGroup
New Contributor

Same issue here, Thomas. We moved some licenses from an unstable machine to a VM with a brand new install of GIS LM, but clients would not connect. Nothing being blocked on the firewall, and the client could ping the server & vice-versa. When I read your reply to this thread, it dawned on me "oh yeah...that's our Autodesk license server!" *swats forehead*

ITSPurchasing
New Contributor

Hey all,

I struggled with the 10.3.1 license manager for 3 days.  My issue was an incompatible port number in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\License10.3\bin\service.txt file.

VENDOR ARCGIS PORT=1234 (worked for 10.2)

VENDOR ARCGIS PORT=27010 (worked for 10.3.1)

After changing the port to 27010, everything works fine.  Hope this helps!

DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

Typically ArcGIS License Server Administrator works with ports 27000-27009. The line that you are referencing above is the used for the ARCGIS daemon - "VENDOR ARCGIS PORT=XXXXX" I am glad that you were able to use port 27010 and that this allows you to consume licenses.

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

Port=1234 was most likely set when you opened an hole in your firewall. This is the port number used in the old ESRI examples for how to do this.

0 Kudos
CatherineUdenberg
New Contributor

Hey for all you out there w newer computers, here is the fix my IT guy found for me- Send a dollar to him if it works

Turn of your networking "TCP/IPv6" if your secondary machine can't get into the license administrator- if your administrator lives on a server you might need to ask IT admin to turn this off

RichardDaniels

better option is to set you computer to use IPv4 "first", but still leave IPv6 on. 

The Microsoft fix is available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/guidance-for-configuring-ipv6-in-windows-for-advance... 

0 Kudos