AnsweredAssumed Answered

Do spatiotemporal data store layers have a spatial reference

Question asked by Andrew.Rudin@austintexas.gov_austin on Oct 11, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 12, 2018 by Andrew.Rudin@austintexas.gov_austin

We just deployed GeoEvent, GeoAnalytics, and the Spatiotemporal Big Data Store (SBDS) deployed and I ran into an anomaly when while trying them out.  

In GeoEvent I'm reading in CSV data that has geometry in lat/long format, and then I want to store the results in a SBDS layer for use in analysis later.  On my first attempt, I chose the defaults when creating the SBDS layer in GeoEvent Manager, which means it is created as WGS84.  Once I got some sample data loaded, I tried to use GeoAnalytics to create space time cubes out of it, but I got the warning that the layer needs to be in a projected coordinate system. 

So, back to the drawing board.   I figured I needed to recreate the SBDS layer with a projected coordinate system (at my office we use one of the US State Plane formats). When I went back and tried to create a new SpatioTemporal Data Source, I saw there are options to define the coord system of the Map & Feature services attached to the data source, but no option to define the coord system of the underlying data.  I went ahead and tried this option to have the services in State Plane, but the result were services that were still in WGS 84, and when I look at the JSON results of the web service I see the coordinates are still lat/long.

So here are my questions?

1) Am I right in thinking I should store data in the SBDS in the same coordinate system as the rest of our organization to avoid "projection on the fly" processing overhead during analysis.

2) If so, how do I define the coord system of the spatiotemporal layer?  And then how do I get the lat/long feed to go into the data source properly?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Andrew

Outcomes