Is that possible to create a polygon from a line feature? like that of thiessen polygon from point data!

09-28-2018 07:23 AM
KunomBersh
New Contributor II

Is that possible to create a polygon from a line feature? like that of thiessen polygon from point data! 

I need to have the created polygon edge generated at equal distance from two or more line features, I have tried to make the polygon using modelbuilder by converting the line to point and point to polygon using thiessen polygon tool but the polygons created by the modelbuilder is not what I want, I need to help me someone with python scripts. I need to have the polygon like the red outlined polygon to all classified line feature. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ElynClarke
New Contributor

What about just doing a simple buffer from the line? then,if desired, merge the buffers/polygon together. 

just a thought.....

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Elyn… buffer doesn't give the same shape as a spatial allocation.  See the original images.  Your buffers will either overlap or be dissolved.  It is splitting the overlaps (intersection of two portions of a circle) that is more computationally difficult than just performing the allocation to begin with

LukeWebb
Occasional Contributor III

Ive always done..

Add a Unique ID Field to data

"Generate Points along lines"   (Choose a resolution for the vertices, that is relevant to your data without going crazy!)

"Feature Vertices To Points"

"Create Thiessan Polygons"

"Dissolve"  using the UniqueID Field

Works great..ish for me.   (The boundarys can get a bit zigzaggy!)

0 Kudos