Is it possible to remove a split on a line/polyline feature class?

10-01-2018 06:58 AM
SydneyBruner
New Contributor

I am trying to merge the line segments on a county wide street center line file. 

I approached this problem first by using the merge tool in editor toolbar. It asks me to "choose the feature with which other features will be merged". It seems that I have no control over the list of features from which I have to choose from. I select a feature nonetheless and perform the merge. 

Is there a way to delete an existing split or merge two line segments simply? There is no set distance with the various line segments that I need to merge. 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There are several ways to do this, but it will depend upon how the data is set up and in what environment it is stored.

For example, if the data is not stored in a Enterprise geodatabase feature class and it has attributes that match how you want the segments merged, one could run a Dissolve geoprocessing tool based on the attributes.  To do this, when running the tool, one would select the field that differentiates the line segments and add it to the "Dissolve Field(s) (optional)" area.  Say if you wanted to merge all streets by street name, if there was a street name field that could be used here to accomplish this.

Dissolve—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Which software package are you using?  ArcGIS Desktop?  ArcGIS Pro?  Other?

What version?

Advance license, Standard, Basic?

How is the data stored?  Feature class in File or Personal Geodatabase, feature class in SDE, shapefile, coverage?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

How many centerlines do you need to unsplit?  The  easiest method I know of is while in an edit session, select the two (or more) features you wish to merge. In the editor context menu,select merge.  You'll be prompted for which feature you'll merge into: this defines which feature attributes will persist in the new single line.  If you have address ranges, you'll need to make the proper adjustments if needed.

That should just about do it....