i have a smartphone with version 6 android and i can't download the collector app. Is there an alternative app that i can use to collect the data in the field and bring it back to Arcgis

09-24-2018 05:29 AM
PatrickFlynn4
New Contributor

I have a smartphone with version 6 android and i can't download the collector app. Is there an alternative app that i can use to collect the feature and location data in the field and bring it back into Arcgis.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Occasional Contributor III

According to the Esri documentation Collector is supported on "Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) or later".

0 Kudos
PatrickFlynn4
New Contributor

Hi, thanks for that, i read that myself about Jelly Bean prior to posting. 

Is there an alternative app that i can use to collect the feature and location data in the field and bring it back into Arcgis.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Occasional Contributor III

You can use a Garmin to collect waypoints and then use the Minnesota DNR tool to convert to .shp -> Arc.

0 Kudos
PatrickFlynn4
New Contributor

That's great, but I don't want to buy another device.

Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

Hi Patrick,

I noticed that you posted your question in the ArcPad GeoNet forums?

That being the case, let's answer the ArcPad support part. ArcPad runs on both Windows and Windows Mobile devices. Of which your present device is neither. If you wish to run ArcPad on Windows, there are a number of very functional Windows devices out there ranging from inexpensive to most rugged. As to running ArcPad on Windows Mobile support, people tend to go for high precision offerings through Esri Partners such as Esri Partners | Trimble | GeoCollector for ArcPad 

The other part of your question is what can you run on Android? Esri offers quite a number of solutions:

Some of these run on multiple platforms, i.e. Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, ...

If these applications don't quite fit your requirements, you can build a custom application from either templates or from ground up:

Stephen

0 Kudos
PatrickFlynn4
New Contributor

Hi Stephen,

thanks for that pretty comprehensive answer. Im not very tech savvy, and

didnt even realise i posted originally in a particular section, i thought

it was just "the arcgis forum". Just 1 more thing, when i said data, I

meant collecting features like bins and lampposts and trials. Is that still

possible with those straight out of the box options like 123 ? Designing

my own app is a bit beyond my tech level much as I would love to have the

skills. (You can teach an old dog new tricks, but don't try and get him to

build an app )

0 Kudos
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

Hi Patrick,

All the products that I mentioned will implement your use case. The devil is in the detail.

As you indicated your not tech savvy, I'm tending to think that Survey123 may be a good fit for you in terms of ease of use and flexibility. Using Survey123, is um, "as easy as 1-2-3"? Hope that didn't sound too corny. I highly recommend you give it a go and I believe you will achieve success with the shortest time investment. You already have access to all the hardware that's needed. A desktop PC that's capable of editing Microsoft Excel files (runs on Windows, macOS and Linux) to prepare your forms. A mobile device (runs on Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows, macOS and Linux) to collect your data in the field. As far as software's concerned, in addition to installing Survey123 and Survey123 Connect, you will need Microsoft Excel and an ArcGIS Online account. There's plentiful material on YouTube and GeoNet and the Survey123 official website itself.

However, be aware that when it comes to all software I've recommended it is still a case of choosing your "horses for your courses". There is no one best answer. Each have their unique pros and cons. Your mileage will vary with the different apps, so, please give them all an open mind and see which one is a best for for you.

Stephen

PatrickFlynn4
New Contributor

OMG,

That is awesome, thanks very much for the detail, I appreciate it a lot. I

hope you have a really great day.

Thanks so much,

0 Kudos