How can I use Survey 123 for public entry without sharing the data with public?

09-20-2018 11:17 AM
deleted-user-WTbgIO_nBFaC
New Contributor

I've created Survey123 for self registration and made it public, but the information being public is visible to anyone who download the app or open the survey.  How can I hide them and only allow people to see only their own information?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

You can specify whether a survey is public and whether they can see data created from the survey, including whether they can only view their own data or everyone's data.

At https://survey123.arcgis.com , go to to the Collaborate tab for your selected survey.  There, you can set the permissions for submitters and viewers of the data.  You can specify that viewers can only view their submitted records under Viewer.

Share survey results—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps!

Best,

Marisa

deleted-user-WTbgIO_nBFaC
New Contributor

Thank you Marisa,

When a survey is Public and someone without logging into ArcGIS Online submit his/her survey, what should I do to make sure he/she is not seeing other People's survey?  There is no authentication involved here. So how can we control it?  Did you have a chance to test any Survey sharing with public and make sure they can't see other's.

Take care

Soheila

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi,

it is not possible for people to use Survey123 forms to look at submitted data, even if your survey is public. Survey forms are meant to help people submit data, but through a Survey123 form you cannot query or look at someone elses submitted data.  The only exception is if the survey owner enables the Inbox functionality AND the end-user is using the Survey123 field app. I am not sure if that would be your case.  Typically, the Inbox is only configured when you want users of the Survey123 app to look at existing data (and change it). Inbox functionality is not available in the Survey123 web app

While a survey form cannot be used to look at data submitted, a malicious hacker may be able to sneak into your data using the REST API in ArcGIS, if your survey feature layers are not configured to prevent that. There is a more detailed discussion on security for public surveys in the https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/11/10/getting-started-with-public-surveys post.

MollyWatson1
Occasional Contributor

I've read through the "Share Survey Results" and "Getting Started with Public Surveys" blogs but still can't quite configure my survey and associated survey feature layer to meet our needs. We have a survey that will be used by both internal staff and the public to report animal and human evacuations during emergencies. So the survey needs to be shared to everyone and publicly available. However, the results of the survey that are stored in the survey feature layer are sensitive and cannot be shared with anyone outside of our internal staff group. I have shared the survey to everyone from the AGOL item contents page and also adjusted the settings under the configuration tab in Survey123. I allowed anyone to submit data and only those in our internal staff group to view the results of the survey. I also adjusted the editing permissions for the survey feature layer under its item details page so that only those in our internal group can edit the data. However, I do not want to apply the setting that "editors cannot see any features, even those they add" because the deputies in the field need to access the survey feature layer in collector in order to update attributes related to the evacuation request.  If I share the survey to everyone - but not the survey feature layer - then the survey is not accessible unless the user is signed in to AGOL. How can we publish our survey publicly without having the survey feature layer shared publicly?

DoriBroglino
New Contributor III

I have this same question.  We are creating "public" surveys but only sharing the URL and including a password so that only those that should be submitting data get the survey but it appears that anyone can open the associated feature class and Add data through AGOL by searching on the name of the survey.  It seems like you should be able to prevent people from adding data to the associated feature class. 

0 Kudos