10.6 Buffer Wizard crashing

01-19-2018 11:09 AM
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor

I installed 10.6 yesterday late and noticed today that the buffer wizard crashes ArcMap every time I try to use it.    I used the buffer tool instead but figured I would make a note of this indirectly for tech support.  Here is an error message from Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: ArcMap.exe, version: 10.6.0.8321, time stamp: 0x5a2b5885
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.16299.125, time stamp: 0x9e3394c7
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00091912
Faulting process id: 0x2234
Faulting application start time: 0x01d39154445590b7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.6\bin\ArcMap.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 879c0a8d-cd27-4f28-8c37-c971a354e504
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Tags (1)
34 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Richard, we are actively investigating the cause of the buffer wizard crash.

To contact technical support you can go to support.esri.com and click Contact Support:

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

Good to hear this is being worked.

In regards to the recommended workaround using the Multiple Ring Buffer tool.

Tool Name:   Multiple Ring Buffer
 Source Name: MultiRingBuffer.py

In the source on line 44 it refers to: outside_polygons = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(6) yet that parameter is not defined in the Proximity toolbox | Multiple Ring Buffer tools properties window. By adding this to the window I was able to get the Full and outside options to work for the tool.

A limitation of that tool that prevents direct use to replace the wizard is that it does not auto-add the results to the map (easy to address by adding a 7th paramater) and does not work with graphics as input. This could be done as well by building a new model and adding a graphic->fc step in front of the model and a back to graphics with a fc->graphic step at the end.

I now have the code on-hand to custom code all this into a new model, but we should not have to... I think ESRI should create a patch for this one since it addresses a previously working tool that was broken with a new release.

v/r,

Rich

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I apologize for the delay on this, but wanted to circle back on this thread to let you know that we have isolated the cause of the crash and will get this fixed.  The status of BUG-000111481: The Buffer Wizard crashes ArcMap 10.6.. has been updated.

RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

Kory,

When you have a ETA when this will be released (e.g., as a patch or with 10.6.2) please stop by here and complete this thread :-).

Rich

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This has been patched.  Please find that here: ArcGIS Desktop Buffer Wizard Patch