DIY Geo Apps MOOC "Ask Me Anything" Event

09-04-2018 09:37 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for joining us!

Wednesday, September 19, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT)

Join our DIY Geo Apps MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Wednesday, September 19, 2018, from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT). Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

10:00 a.m. You can now ask your question!

10:25 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:30 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:50 a.m. - Ten minutes to go! Got any fun questions for guests?

11:00 a.m. - That's a wrap! See you at the next Ask Me Anything event.

AMA Guests 

John Shramek

Derek Law

John Gravois

Rupert Essinger

Ian Wittenmyer

Sample Questions:

• What are careers in GIS?
  • What is the DIY Geo Apps MOOC?
  • Do you have any pets, etc.?
  • How long have you worked in GIS?
  • What made you choose GIS as a career?

We

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles‌ Be Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.
71 Replies
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Vaibhav,

In regards to the program at the University of Redlands, connect with Jessica Rosales‌. She works closely with UoR and also teaches some courses there in her free time.

VaibhavGupta4
New Contributor II

Have already dropped a message. Waiting for her reply.
Thanks

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Vaibhav, yes I think a degree involving location analytics would help for sure. There are many online courses and degree programs too out there. Here are a few sources I've found:

Complete Guide to an Online GIS Degree 

https://www.bachelorsportal.com/study-options/269779074/geographical-information-systems-united-stat... 

Online GIS Degree - Bachelors, Masters & PhD Programs | EnvironmentalScience.org 

I do think that getting practical experience is at least as important as further education. If you can get an internship somewhere, or even build up a portfolio of maps or apps, that would help too.

Joseph Kerski‌, would you have anything to add, any new education sources or tips? Thanks!

VaibhavGupta4
New Contributor II

Hi John,
Thanks for the links
I've applied to many organisations for an internship role and am waiting for a reply. Regarding the portfolio of maps, I'm creating an app to solve the street lighting problem in my locality will that count too? (I'll share the link to my app, if possible do give a feedback)
Thanks

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Of course, any app you make and can show off to a potential employer is great. Feel free to put it in the class Forum and we'll check it out!

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello!

In addition to John’s great list, we work with www.geotechcenter.org<http://www.geotechcenter.org> to maintain a list and map of geospatial programs on their site. I hope it is useful! But also start searching for program at universities on Data Science these days, which are slowly emerging.

--Joseph Kerski

Joseph J. Kerski, Ph.D., GISP | Education Manager

Esri | 1 International Court | Broomfield CO 80021-3200 | USA

T 303 449 7779<tel:303%20449%207779> x1-8237 | M 303 625 3925<tel:303%20625%203925> | jkerski@esri.com<mailto:jkerski@esri.com> | esri.com<http://esri.com/>

esriurl.com/josephkerski | http://twitter.com/josephkerski

THE SCIENCE OF WHERE®

JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor

i'll take a totally different tack in answering this question.

my current work only shares the most remote connection to what i studied in school. i didn't attain additional degrees or certificates. i just looked for opportunities to develop new skills on the job by tackling projects in addition to my primary duties.

obviously your mileage will vary with regard to the amount of flexibility and support you'd get at work attempting something like this, but my experience has been successful, primarily because i've been deliberate about identifying win/win scenarios which allowed me to expand my professional skills tackling problems that managers agreed were worth solving.

ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

Hi Vaibhav - Thanks for asking and great questions! And it's great to hear about your interest in continuing your education to further your career. You also might want to check out and follow our Esri Technical Certification‌ space for information that would supplement your education efforts. Jessi Mielke‌ can also help answer any certification questions you might have. 

Esri Community Strategist
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Vaibhav Gupta‌ As Chris said if you have any certification questions we encourage you to join our space on GeoNet and reach out to us anytime at certification@esri.com and we will be happy to help!

IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor

I completely agree with my colleagues on the value of continuing education, but I would add that I have always appreciated working with self-starters, people who are so excited about a topic that they can't stop working with it.  So I would encourage you to also spend time trying to build maps or applications that solve a specific problem or communicate a specific message to a specific audience.  Ideally something you are interested in learning more about so that your passion comes through in your work.  Making your own maps is a good way to learn technology in a purposeful way while at the same time allowing you to build a portfolio of your work.