Remove user and transfer schema to another user - SQL Server

09-18-2018 11:07 AM
IgnacioFagian
New Contributor

Hi, need some help!
I have a geodatabase in SQL Server 2016 called "sig" in which users with names "sde" and "mit" have worked on it.
I have been asked to stop using the user "mit" and only use the user "sde", so I need to delete the user mit and pass all the schemes that he had to the user sde.

Is it possible to do that? In what way should I do it?

Im using ArcMap 10.6.1, ArcGIS server 10.6.1, ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1, SQL Server 2016

Capture of geodatabase named "sig"

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You would have to login as the SDE in ArcCatalog and copy the data in as that user.

**Note: It is not recommended for the SDE user (Geodatabase administrator) to own data. One reason is that the SDE user has elevated (i.e. more) permissions than a normal data owner**

Why are they not allowing the "mit" user? Can you create a new data owner like "GIS" to own the data?

Geodatabase

--- George T.
IgnacioFagian
New Contributor

It is necessary to use a single user because at the moment there is only one editor that manages the data.
Having features created by another user is a problem because must log in with owner user to be able to perform the editing of some feature.

So the way for sde get access to all the information available for user mit should do the following:

1. copy all features dataset and features class where their names starts with sig.MIT.<*>, and paste with logged as user sde so the new name would be sig.SDE.<*>
  2. delete all features sig.MIT.<*> duplicated
0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Yes, if you want the SDE user to own the data.

--- George T.
0 Kudos