Displaying Lot Grade In ArcGIS

09-12-2018 10:14 AM
JasonSorrels
New Contributor

I am a current student about to complete my associates degree in GIS and working toward a B.S. in Geography with a minor in Geo spatial Science. Currently I am workling for a Surveying company that does work for home builders. What I am wanting to do is take the points that are collected across a lot in a 10 ft. grid and create an elevation map to show the high and low spots based on the shots that were taken. I have experimented with using the Kriging interpolation tool and it looks to be close to what I am seeking but not quite. Any Ideas or help would be appreciated. Honestly I just want to see if its possible. I know you can use a DEM for large areas but not sure how it would work on an area the size of a lot.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JasonSorrels
New Contributor

I recently tried creating a TIN fro the point data and it more clearly delineates the high and low spots and with enough classes using equal interval I can display delineation as little as a tenth. What I would like to do is make it much easier to visually see where the high and low spot are and much easier to read.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jason,

How far apart are your points in your 10 foot grid? Could you apply a vertical exaggeration to your points in order to see the high and low points better?

0 Kudos
JasonSorrels
New Contributor

In most cases they are 10 feet apart but can be as much as 20. I have tried the topo to raster function with mixed result it looks good but does not accurately represent the swale ditches beside the homes and leading to the street or other drainage structure. I think the issue may be that in most cases there is as little as a Tenth difference in elevation. By changing the classes to 32 I have gotten a little more definition on the map of where the low spots are.

0 Kudos