Importing .obj into ArcGIS Pro

09-06-2018 11:35 AM
StevenFernandez
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've have been at it for 2  years now and I can't for the life of me import a 3D model generated from different modeling applications.  I've tried straight from Geomagic, which always has axis issues, no matter what rotation I apply.  I've tried from mesh lab, same issue and I loose the texture in that process.  Anyone have usable import instructions for .obj or 3ds?

Thank you,

Steve  

Tags (3)
22 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro 2.2.x, there's the Import 3D Files geoprocessing tool that supports *.3ds and *.obj files for import. It comes with the 3D Analyst extension.

StevenFernandez
New Contributor II

Thanks Robert,

I'm way past that point.  When I import the models, they are never in the right orientation.  Sideways, upside down, inside out.  I've tried to reorient, translate and change the axes on them in the various modeling applications, but no change.  If there was a flip or rotate around the x or y axis, I'd be set. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Gotcha - thx for the update.  Have you contacted anyone on the 3D Support Services Team about this issue.  May be the next step to take.

StevenFernandez
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

So ArcGIS Pro rotate tool does let you rotate around the x and y axes.  For me, it doesn't show the tools options until I pan around a bit. 

However, the tool didn't work like it should.  I'm going to post a new thread based off this problem.

How do I contact 3D Support Services?

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Steven - when you call Esri Support Services, describe the issue and ask to speak with the 3D Support Team.  They should route you correctly to a 3D analyst.  All the best!

0 Kudos
StevenFernandez
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

I wish.  ESRI only allows one authorized caller for our entire site and it's not me.  I've been trying since 2010.   I'm left to solve all my problems on these forums.  I get 1 in 5 solved.  Usually move on to another software.

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
AknurKarabay
New Contributor

Hi! I have a question regarding the 3D obj import to ArcGIS Pro. I tried to import using 3D analyst tool and I can see the layer in the contents, but it is invisible.Do you know what might be the reason? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Laura
by MVP
MVP

check this setting

Laura_0-1682973805504.png

0 Kudos
ZachJaffe
New Contributor II

Robert LeClairSteven Fernandez

Has any progress been made here? I have a georefrenced .obj and when I use the Import 3D Feature tool (with the correct coordinate system) it displays in the wrong location, as well as being upside down. Any thoughts?