Creating a Project Template

09-13-2018 10:41 AM
RenRosin
New Contributor III

Often, when I start a new project, I use the same base data, which includes vector layers and rasters and commonly used tools. To save me time, I thought I'd try to create a project template. I don't know if this process takes a very long time, or if the system gets stuck in a loop, but I'm trying now for the third time, and after an hour of waiting for it to process, I'm about to kill it and abandon the procedure.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? 

Tags (1)
17 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Ren,

1. Are you trying to create the template a store it online or save it as a file?

By default, the tool will try to upload to an online account.

If you switch that to 'Save template to file' it defaults to C:\Users\<username>\Documents\ArcGIS\ProjectTemplates

2. Where is the vector and raster data stored that you're packaging up and how is it referenced in the map (letter drive, UNC path?)?  

3. Are you check the 'Share outside of organization' option?  Depending on how the data is referenced and whether you check this option, the size of what is being packaged could vary tremendously.  

The Project Package help explains how data is consolidated depending on the above Project package—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

4. If you wanted to, you could create a map package Map package—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop though since this is just to start new projects, that probably isn't necessary.

If you have a project with the data that you always use already in a map, you could just open that project, Save As a new one and go from there.  Though I'm interested in answers to 1, 2, and 3 to see if we can figure out what the delay is.

Thanks

RenRosin
New Contributor III

Hi Kory,

I'm trying to save it to file. I selected a different directory for it to be stored in, not the default directory. I've got a folder which must have been created automatically called "p20" which I tried to delete, but couldn't because it said it was being used by a different user, so I'm thinking that when I prematurely stopped the process it left something open letting it think the tool was still in process. I have looked for files that were created at that time, but I don't know what a lot of them are, so I won't mess with them. I don't know where ArcGIS stores temporary files, or which files are temporary.

Can you help?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Ren, sorry for the lag in response here.  Were you able to get a project template created or do you still need help?  

If you still have questions, technical support is probably a good avenue to take a look at the set up and help determine a good way to set up the template.  

We still didn't get answers to my questions 2 and 3 above.  Knowing some more about those could also help.

Cheers

SBrandenburg
New Contributor III

I am having the same issues now. I  saving template to file on a shared network drive, where all the data is hosted,  and I  am not sharing outside of the organization. It hangs up endlessly (at least 24 hours) on the "packaging in progress" step. There is almost no data to package, the template is purely used as a layout, with just basemaps for data present.

Tags (1)
Geobunga
New Contributor III

I am also having the same issue, exactly the same as KitBarton1 described above. Has anyone figured out what the issue is? For me it is throwing the classic "General function failure" error message on the packaging step after hanging on that step for around an hour. I have tried uploading to my organization and creating a local file, both failed.

0 Kudos
CathyWilson2
Occasional Contributor

Mine says "Packaging successful" and says "Finish Creating" but it isn't done. It's been like this for a few hours. I have not interrupted it and am saving to a local server (down the hall). (Using ARcGIS Pro 3.1.2)

Packaging successful.jpg

I will likely just use an .aprx as a 'template' map for my people. I just thought I'd try the actual Template. The problem with using an .aprx is that the user has to remember to Save As. I'm hoping the Template will prompt them to Save As, but can't test yet as I have no template to test with!

0 Kudos
CathyWilson2
Occasional Contributor

Addendum: It had worked. I closed Pro, then opened it and selected the template file and it worked! The issue was that the Template creation pane looked like it wasn't done, but it was.
It does prompt the user to save, just like if they were creating a New Project.

0 Kudos
MatthewLeMaitre
New Contributor

I am having the same issue, analyse is ok, then it just hangs on compressing package? Is the template file large? This project does have quite a few large rasters in it, would that be an issue? I was hoping it would simply behave like a template mxd? I have the same result whether trying to create it online or local folder. Any help much appreciated.

0 Kudos