Features aren't lining up with Rasters after inserting base map

06-11-2018 01:25 PM
JesseAguilar1
New Contributor

So I have a dilemma with features not lining up with rasters (MrSids) after inserting a basemap from ESRI.  The raster lines up with the basemap, while the features display in the pacific.  I have tried projecting the data to the same coordinate system of the rasters and setting the data frame to the same system.  Is this a problem related to the conversion of CAD to geodatabase tool and the coordinate system assigned?  This picture displays the data correctly, before inserting the basemap. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

So, let's see. You have an esri basemap that is projected (obviously).

You have a raster, that is already project? Right (in a custom NAD83 California Zone 5)?

And your CAD data is not projected, I am presuming, right?

It looks like your map data frame is in the custom coord system, but you're saying that the CAD data is showing up in the ocean? (I'm just trying to make sure I am following).

Try this, start a new map just to make sure there are no inherent issues, and in the catalog pane in ArcMap, navigate to the CAD data, right click on it, and in the General tab, click on Edit under the Spatial Reference, and then choose the custom coordinate system that this CAD dataset belongs in

Then you should be able to add it to the map and the map's data frame should reflect that system (and if this is where it is supposed to be, it should line up properly).

0 Kudos
JesseAguilar1
New Contributor

Yes, you are correct to assume the CAD data had an unknown coordinate system, this was taken care of when the dwg file was converted to a geodatabase and into a dataset.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Right, so instead of using the converted geodatabase cad set, I personally would use the original cad data, projected, to see if it lines up, then move it towards a geodatabase. I guess I don't always have a lot of trust with making my CAD into a geodatabase initially.

What I'm also wondering is, if your CAD data is supposed to be in that custom system and if your data frame is in that system, adding the CAD data to that map should have it line up properly too, without it being projected. Then it can also be moved to a geodatabase afterwards as well. (if that makes sense).

JesseAguilar1
New Contributor

Thanks for that insight, I didn't think of setting the CAD data first to the coordinate system.  Unfortunately, I am still getting the same result, which makes me think the projection should probably be set in either the template used for the project or converted by CAD to the correct projection.  I will give that a try and let you know if it helped. 

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The CAD data looks like the units are in US survey feet, while the CA 5 coordinate system definition is using meters. Use the data's property page to change the coordinate system. 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jesse, were you able to get this problem solved?

0 Kudos