CityEngine Rules

12-11-2017 08:57 AM
WoodyHynes
Esri Contributor

What CityEngine rules do you wish you had in your box of tools to make your 3D modeling easier?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JesseSuders3
New Contributor II

Right, and I appreciate your input.

My reference to rule of the week  and the OP question is that these rules are how us non-city engine professionals learn. By breaking them down, modifying them, and analyzing them. 

To ask the question "What CityEngine rules do you wish you had in your box of tools to make your 3D modeling easier?" and then not respond to people or produce a rule of the week that reflects we have been "heard" is disheartening.  

While I appreciate your business model and all the work that goes into developing what you provide I must say, a one man shop that needs city engine on a small scale for realistic renderings... its just not affordable when you look at the cost of the software and then third party support. This is in no offense to you, and understand that I see your point of view, and appreciate your perspective. 

What would be nice is if we who are not working with the development team were communicated with as part of the city engine user community that as you said they are aware of the issues and are working to provide solutions, rather than radio silence after such and OP question.

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

This thread might be somewhat dead, but I wanted to put down some rules that would be helpful at least for my use cases. 

• General TOD Zoning Rules that are simpler than Building Construction and can be used in more complex rules. Generally I think we need CGA examples that are much simpler building blocks to learn from, but can progressively be more complex with shared design patterns. 
  • More organic looking park rules. Generally the rules for parks I have seen are very formal spaces. I keep on hoping for something more informal/more bends in paths etc. I know this is hard to do though. 
  • More than Rules, I think assets are often a barrier to use for CE. The default assets in many rules tend to be low res/low poly. Some shared assets for all rules would be useful (textures of different types,normal maps, 3D models). 

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos