How do you save a map to use remotely on Explorer?

09-07-2018 08:28 AM
RandySteele
New Contributor III

How do you save a map to use remotely on Explorer?

I've tried to do this but I cannot get it to work. I am very new to this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Randy -- For remote, offline use Explorer works with mobile map packages (MMPKs) that are authored in ArcGIS Pro. Once it is authored and shared (through ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Enterprise, or sideloading directly onto the device), you'll be able to download and use the map in Explorer.

Here is the help doc on making offline maps: Make offline maps—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

There are also some good blog resources, summarized and explained here: https://community.esri.com/groups/explorer-for-arcgis/blog/2018/01/22/make-an-offline-map-with-arcgi... 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

I am not using ArcGIS Pro. I'm on ArcMap but our maps are published through ArcGIS Online. Still not able to download the map. I can't use it in collector or Navigator. Navigator tells me that I'm not licensed to use it.

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Gotcha. Currently, Explorer only works with MMPKs offline (it doesn't download web maps from ArcGIS Online and use those offline like Collector does). And ArcMap can't create MMPKs.

For Navigator, your ArcGIS Online account needs a license to use the app (see What are the requirements?—Navigator for ArcGIS | ArcGIS).

If you'd like help understanding why the map isn't working in Collector, I'd need more information about what you are seeing there. 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos