I get the following errors:
cannot create an insert cursor using the mosaic dataset
cannot acquire a lock.
This used to work.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jing, it was 10.6.1, Win 10, all the latest, for a mosaic in a geodatabase. I couldn't test stopping the service, because it was the main production aerial imagery service. (which would not be acceptable as a workflow)  This solution of foreground processing, it worked on the first try. That would lead me to think a resolution could be, that the alternative algorithm (the foreground one), that however it 'works' under the hood, just become the default 'programming logic' under the hood, for the Add Raster tool.

0 Kudos
JingLi4
Esri Contributor

Hi Kevin. The testing I did with ArcGIS 10.6.x is to add rasters to a mosaic dataset stored in a file geodatabase with 64 bit background geoprocessing enabled. The mosaic dataset is not source of any imagery services.

To make sure we are on the same page, can you confirm the following items?

1. You want to add rasters to the mosaic dataset which is served as the source of the imagery service without stopping the service.

2. If I understand correctly, the foreground processing works for you in this scenario.

Thank you.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

precisely. It said I could not add it. I can't remember the error but something like it was locked or in use. Then, I used the workaround with foreground processing, then it worked. 

Also, it built overviews and pyramids fine so the regular imageryservice is working but the tiled service will not tile. I'm still working on it... I have stopped and started several times, rebuilt cache status, restarted caching GP tool on Server (the server is 10.51 though the client I used to add raster was 10.6.1) etc.  Tiling always seems to be... interesting.   I am finally very comfortable to know what exact setting to get very good quality (bilinear jpg ybcr at 85 in a file gdb, NOT in SDE, etc) but it seems to require careful shepherding. Start it, step back... do not touch lol... come back, it failed.. retry with something slightly different...rinse repeat... all my sys admins and raster people here know what I'm talking about!  it's ok I will get it squared eventually. Steady she goes..     The reason is that... we got one tile (just one!) to add to an existing imagery dataset. 

0 Kudos
JingLi4
Esri Contributor

Hi Kevin. Thank you for describing the issue. I think the issue you encountered might have a different workflow than the initial post. 

In your scenario, I would recommend you contact Esri Support Services to further investigate. Here is the link to contact Support.

https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

Regards.

0 Kudos