How can I change the order of popups on an ArcGIS Online Map

Jump to solution
10-03-2014 01:15 PM
BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor

I have 3 layers (2 point and 1 line) that coincide, let's call them A, B, and C.  I have tried several things to get the popup order to be A (1 of 3), B,(2 of 3), C (3 of 3): ordering the layers in Content with A on top, then B, then C; renaming them so that they are in alphabetical order; creating copies of the layers in a specific order.  No matter what I try, the popups appear in the order B, A, C.  They don't seem to order in the order they appear in Content or the Legend, alphabetically, or in order of creation/modification.  Is there any way to force one layer's popup to display 1st, or specify the order in which the popups display?

Tags (2)
48 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

bumping for relevance still.

Not being able to toggle this is a huge limitation

TaylorWard2
New Contributor

Bump... again. Very frustrating. In my case, I have 2 layers with pop-ups, occupying the same geometry point. Whenever I click the point, a pop-up for layer B is first, then layer A, then back to B. I don't understand how this can happen.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

https://community.esri.com/ideas/6548 

I posted a solution here, but it requires using the developer edition of WAB 

AlexWolf1
New Contributor

Bumping again... 

Ordering data in a meaningful way is vital.  I have a background raster and then rasters containing user-controlled content.  If I turn on pop-ups for the background raster, it always comes up first in the pop-up.  I then have to somehow educate users to flip to the second pop-up.  If I turn off pop-ups for the background rasters, I've gotten feedback from multiple users not understanding why pop-ups only work in certain spots.  If the goal of AGOL is for GIS users to create content accessible to non-GIS-savvy users, this pop-up ordering is self-defeating.  Interactive maps should be intuitive.  This is not.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/6548 

BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor

Agreed.  It's comical at this point (4 years after I posted the issue).  I get questions all the time about why I don't provide information about features that users click on.  My response: "It's in there somewhere, you just have to keep clicking that little arrow until you find it.".  Their response: "That's stupid, why don't you fix that?".  I don't feel that the ESRI answer that was posted is correct.  It's true, but providing people worthless information quickly isn't "correct".

-Why don't you fix that?

AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

I will also add my name to this 'want'. We are building an app using the Serviceability Lookup Solution. I need to have the results of the pop-up in a particular order and as of now, I can't figure out how to arrange the order of the results.

AxelLévy
New Contributor III

Please fix it

RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

even if the popup is slower, don't think the users will mind that much to get the data they are after.

I mean, after all, they've already waited for what seems like forever for hosted feature layer to load......

AndyBills
New Contributor III

Agreed - Esri should allow the popup order to be defined. I'd be happier explaining to users that the popup is 'slow' or 'slower' (whatever the actual delay is) due to underlying data being searched in order to return the correct popup, than to irritate with an unwanted popup that cannot even be moved out the way - AND which has the arrow to the next feature move due to the differences between popup content.

It's like a mean game where the user is plagued with unwanted popups that are fiddly to use!

Simply ridiculous that an organisation such as Esri cannot see how poor the popups are.

IanPeebles
Occasional Contributor III

Funny I came across this thread because I was looking to change the order of the popups.  To my disappointment, I learned it cannot be done.  I agree that it would be extremely nice to be able to re-order the popups within a javaScript application.

ESRI...can you please consider this functionality?  We need more controls on what we can and can not do with popups.  Also, allow for easily changing the pixel tolerance on when a user clicks to identify a popup in the mobile environment.  Now you have to tap...tap..tap..until you get lucky enough to activate the popup when clicking on a point.