VB script not working on 64 bit machine?

08-14-2014 01:57 AM
ChrisBuckmaster1
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I have a python script containing calculate field processes that use VB script to achieve this. The script ran fine on my old 32 bit machine but after upgrading to 64 bit, it appears as though it doesn't work, I get the following error message:-

ERROR 000989: Tool CalculateField cannot use VB expressions for services

Looking on some forums it looks like I need to change all of my VB expressions to python, but there are an awful lot so I was wondering whether it is possible somehow to run the script in 32 bit mode? Is that an option?

I currently have a scheduled task which runs a .bat file overnight that runs the py file, but not sure how I could stipulate for it to run in 32 bit mode, if that's even possible?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TaraDeRosa
New Contributor II

This is an old article however I recently ran into this issue and wanted to post a workaround. In lieu of rewriting code in Python, I was able to change my Python scripts to continue to run in 32-bit mode. Per https://community.esri.com/thread/171670, you can get a python script to run as 32-bit by following the below steps:

1.  Right-click on your script in Windows Explorer > Open With > Choose Default Program

2.  Browse to the python.exe file located under the 32-bit installation (i.e. C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.4\python.exe)

3.  Check the option 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'

The 32-bit IDLE can be found here if you are used to working in IDLE:

C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.4\Lib\idlelib\idle.bat

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sooner or later you'll fully migrate into the 64 bit world with ArcGIS Pro and Python 3.x. Why not re-write the vb portion into Python?!

That should just about do it....
TaraDeRosa
New Contributor II

Touché! And yes I will be rewriting in Python obviously but will be on leave from work beginning in a couple of weeks and simply do not have the time to. Will make for a fun project when I return:)