Georeference a DWG in AutoCAD with the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plugin?

Jump to solution
08-17-2018 03:25 PM
AdamInglis1
Occasional Contributor

I have a DWG with a WLD file that will place the data properly for me when I define the appropiate projection in ArcGIS Pro.  However, the CAD desinger has added an object data table that is not visible when I read the DWG in ArcGIS Pro.  The object data table will export to the attribute table of a SHP file from AutoCAD, however, the drawing is not georefernced and I don't know how to georefernce the SHP file.

I was hoping that the CAD designer could use the plugin to georefernce the DWG in AutoCAD and the resultant exported SHP would be georeferenced.  Is this easy to do?  Can they use the coordinates from the WLD file?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS does  not support AutoCAD Object data tables.  The Export capability of ArcGIS  Map 3D or Civil 3D to shapefile also does not consider the .WLD file.  At that point it is just a GIS shapefile all on its own.

To georeference a  Shapefile you really just need to  move/spatially adjust it into place.   ArcGIS  for AutoCAD  is  designed so that  you can create attributed feature class  data inside AutoCAD that  is  georeferenced so that  you don't need to  export to shapefile or georeference your data.  ArcGIS  desktop will read the attributed featureclass data soley in the DWG  and  you have tools in ArcGIS for  AutoCAD  to  draw in an explicit real world coordinates that you choose.

If you haven't seen them I have created some videos that  might help explain different ways to create and edit ArcGIS data using ArcGIS  for  AutoCAD.  

ArcGIS for AutoCAD Training Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IADtVQi6h4&list=PLHTg8zWG0OuktrJAz1rQTEad9-HNAziqr

-Don

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS does  not support AutoCAD Object data tables.  The Export capability of ArcGIS  Map 3D or Civil 3D to shapefile also does not consider the .WLD file.  At that point it is just a GIS shapefile all on its own.

To georeference a  Shapefile you really just need to  move/spatially adjust it into place.   ArcGIS  for AutoCAD  is  designed so that  you can create attributed feature class  data inside AutoCAD that  is  georeferenced so that  you don't need to  export to shapefile or georeference your data.  ArcGIS  desktop will read the attributed featureclass data soley in the DWG  and  you have tools in ArcGIS for  AutoCAD  to  draw in an explicit real world coordinates that you choose.

If you haven't seen them I have created some videos that  might help explain different ways to create and edit ArcGIS data using ArcGIS  for  AutoCAD.  

ArcGIS for AutoCAD Training Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IADtVQi6h4&list=PLHTg8zWG0OuktrJAz1rQTEad9-HNAziqr

-Don

AdamInglis1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for you response Don.  I'll give the Spatial Adjstment toolbar on ArcMap a go and see if I can regesiter it to the proper location.

A better alternative for us is to move the exising DWG data (local mine grid) into a projected coordinate system (UTM13) in AutoCAD.  It seems like we should be able to do this in AutoCAD where we take the coordinates from the WLD file and register the drawing.  I'm sure it is possible, but I don't have AutoCAD installed to test and I'm trying to explain this to a remotely located CAD desginer.

0 Kudos