Pro fails at creating a simple 3D polygon..

08-13-2018 10:02 AM
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

I drew a line snapping to points and then tried to convert the resulting closed 3D line into a polygon, but Pro just keeps creating an empty output. Why could that be? The yellow polygon was created using the same line with FME (linebuilder transformer), but obviously Pro being so pro should be able to accomplish this simple task as well, no?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Have you tried setting a tolerance in the tool? Depending on the data, you may need one. You may also want to try running the "Check Geometry" tool.

0 Kudos
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

It's a closed line. Check geometry returns no errors. It seems like Pro (and ArcScene) can't handle almost completely vertical surfaces. Lines with a decent amount of horizontal surface rarely fail to produce a polygon.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

I can reproduce as well, and it seems like it could be a limitation. I'll log a new documentation enhancement request so Pro users know what to expect in this situation. Thanks for pointing it out!

[ENH-000116092 Document the limitations of creating vertical polygons in ArcGIS Pro.]

For tracking this Enhancement Request, please contact Esri Support at 888-377-4575.