"Scene service is missing root node" Error

Jump to solution
10-24-2017 06:47 PM
ChristopherEby1
New Contributor II

I uploaded a CSV to AGOL and created a hosted Feature Layer (portal id 2d7dc54a7bf947d1bd3665786aca4d79 ) out of it:

https://services8.arcgis.com/D7sDlYShv5WlgIyb/ArcGIS/rest/services/Pennsylvania_Historical_Markers/F...

Then I click Publish > Scene Layer to create a hosted scene layer (portal id 98a0e0fede3543268757c6b7e89c5205):

https://services8.arcgis.com/D7sDlYShv5WlgIyb/ArcGIS/rest/services/Pennsylvania_Historical_Markers/S... 

However, when I click Open in Scene Viewer I get the error:

Scene service is missing root node.
What am I doing wrong? I tried rebuilding the cache but it didn't work.
Tags (2)
21 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Actually I think the layer was still cooking, if you published from Pro make sure to check the Jobs pane on the status of the scene layer. It looks good now

0 Kudos
EdTriplett
New Contributor II

That is great news. I had a look at the bottom of the Share as Web Layer pane and thought it was finished. It looked like this, but still had the error:

0 Kudos
EdTriplett
New Contributor II

Thanks for all your help. I will wait a little while after the publication "green light" in the future to check the layer. 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup going to the Job Status pane you can see the cache status and it might have been still cooking during that second check. Feel free to share your scene or story for your web scene once your done, looks interesting!

0 Kudos
tchaulla
New Contributor II

I ran into this problem in December 2021.

I got the same error message as OP ("scene service is missing root node") and the Jobs pane showed the layer had finished cooking. In my case, all I needed to do was wait a few more minutes and then the error message disappeared.

0 Kudos
AlistairFox
Occasional Contributor

So I have a scene that publishes fine to AGOL but shows this error in Portal 10.6..1 Data and scene in Pro 2.2 are projected to WGS 1984 Auxiliary Sphere, so why does portal throw this error and how do I get around it?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

A few questions:

-Is the service still being cached in your Portal setup, you can check the Pro Jobs pane.

-Are you publishing it from a SLPK

-What are your server logs saying, this can help point out where an issue may exist if the service is failing to publish.

0 Kudos
ManishArote2
New Contributor

Hi Russel, 

I am having a similar issue today I am able to publish the Web Scene successfully but when i see in Job Status I see "Publish message Succeeded, but Cache Message failed" and when i see in the server log it says. 

1) "Unable to instantiate class for xml schema type: ArrayOfCIMMapScale" and

2) "Error executing tool. Manage Scene Cache Job ID: ja2266b4328b643c6b925510c10787a20 : ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Please refer to the error help for potential solutions, or contact Esri Technical Support http://esriurl.com/support. Failed to execute (Manage Scene Cache)."

I am publishing a local Scene with projection 27700(British National Grid). 

I  have no clue what is the problem. Server error log Scene ErrorPro error

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you create a scene layer package from the data and publish a scene layer from that package?

0 Kudos
ManishArote2
New Contributor

Hi Russell, 

Thanks for replying, I have packaged Multi-patch Layer into Scene layer package and tried to upload ,publish through portal, it is not able to publish and i am getting following error in Server log, Can you please suggest any solution.SLPK_Portal_server_error

0 Kudos