Is the Random Trees Classifier equal to Random Forest?

Jump to solution
08-10-2018 06:44 AM
MartinMariager
New Contributor

Hi ESRI community, 

Is the Random Trees Classifier in ArcMap 10.5 the same as what is named Random Forest in other applications/software?

I see that the parameters are the same and the design seems the same, but I need a verification of which algorithm is behind the classifier before I can implement it in my research. 

If this is the case, how do I acquire the metadata from each classification task run in ArcMap? I am specifically thinking of the out-of-bag (OOB) error and the variable importance (VI) estimates.

Greetings,

Martin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JacobHartle2
Esri Contributor

Hi, 

Yes, Random Trees is the same as Random Forest. The Random Trees classifier uses Leo Breiman's Random Forest Algorithm. 

Source: Forest-based Classification and Regression—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

In regards to your second question, you should be able to get this information within the Results window in ArcMap. I know you can get this information by viewing the Geoprocessing history in the Geoprocessing pane in ArcGIS Pro.

If you can use ArcGIS Pro, please read the Output Messages and Diagnostics section of the article linked below. It will discuss getting information such as OOB, VI, model characteristics.

How Forest-based Classification and Regression works—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

Martin Mariager

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JacobHartle2
Esri Contributor

Hi, 

Yes, Random Trees is the same as Random Forest. The Random Trees classifier uses Leo Breiman's Random Forest Algorithm. 

Source: Forest-based Classification and Regression—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

In regards to your second question, you should be able to get this information within the Results window in ArcMap. I know you can get this information by viewing the Geoprocessing history in the Geoprocessing pane in ArcGIS Pro.

If you can use ArcGIS Pro, please read the Output Messages and Diagnostics section of the article linked below. It will discuss getting information such as OOB, VI, model characteristics.

How Forest-based Classification and Regression works—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

Martin Mariager

Raza_Muhammad
New Contributor II

Yes, they are same however using "Forest-Based Classification and Regression" in ArcGIS Pro can provide you all the statistics that you have mentioned.

0 Kudos
JenoraD_Acosta
Occasional Contributor

Hi Martin,

Just to clarify, the Random Trees Classifier in 10.5 works with rasters and is using the Random Forest algorithm as in other software.  The documentation is here:  http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.5/tools/spatial-analyst-toolbox/train-random-trees-classifier...

The Forest-based Classification and Regression tool was added to Pro 2.2 and is not in ArcMap 10.5.  It works with both raster and vector data using the same Random Forest algorithm.  The documentation is here:  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/spatial-statistics/forestbasedclassificationregress...

Hope this is helpful,

Jenora

0 Kudos