New field not visible by default

Jump to solution
12-21-2017 04:17 AM
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

When adding a new field to a table in ArcGIS Online, the new field does not appear in view by default - you have to go to Show/Hide Fields and turn it on. I think this may have changed recently as I am sure it used to default to visible. Generally I am adding a field because I want to do something with it, so I need to see it!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Katy,

Are you adding the filed to a hosted feature layer view or a primary hosted feature layer?

Has a Pop-Up configuration been saved to the layer?

A Usability Bug has been logged in regards to this issue. Feel free to contact Tech support to be added for tracking: BUG-000110205: Fields added to data in ArcGIS Online are hidden by .. 

-Kelly

View solution in original post

26 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Katy,

Are you adding the filed to a hosted feature layer view or a primary hosted feature layer?

Has a Pop-Up configuration been saved to the layer?

A Usability Bug has been logged in regards to this issue. Feel free to contact Tech support to be added for tracking: BUG-000110205: Fields added to data in ArcGIS Online are hidden by .. 

-Kelly

KellyGerrow

This is scheduled to be fixed in the next release of ArcGIS Online.

KatyAppleton1

Thank you Kelly. I am sorry I did not get to reply to this before the festive break. I was adding the field to a primary hosted feature layer with no pop-up configuration. But it sounds like it's all on track now - thanks again.

0 Kudos
Don_Barker
New Contributor III

This is still the default.  Incredibly.

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1

Yes, looks like it is. ESRI, what happened to the "next release" fix? Kelly Gerrow

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the current version of AGOL which I believe is 6.2?

I used the following syntax to get this information:

http://%youragolorg%.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest?f=json

I gathered this information from:

Does ArcGIS Online have version number? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange 

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1

I'm using whatever is delivered when I sign in at arcgis.com, but yes, it is 6.2.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

It appears then that the ESRI documentation for that bug is incorrect as it states that it is fixed at version 6.1, unless of course 6.2 broke this fix from 6.1.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Michael,

It is not possible to add a field to a view layer. If you want to add a new field, you need to add it to the source feature layer, where it will be visible and then update the view definition to make it visible in dependent hosted feature layer views. This way, newly added field data does not unintentionally flow into all dependent feature layer views. 

The bug was addressed for the source feature layer views. This requirement is outlined in the documentation here:

Add or delete a field—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Let us know if you have questions,

-Kelly

0 Kudos