How to turn polylines into polygons (arcmap 10.2)

08-10-2018 02:50 AM
SimonLaughton
New Contributor III

Hi

I am hoping some expert here can save me a lot of time!

I have been supplied some mapping which was created in CAD and exported to dwg.

We are working with ArcMap 10.2.

I have added the dwg file in, however quite a number of what should be polygons have come in a Polylines.  They look like Polygons, but on zooming in I can see they is a tiny area on each which isn't quite complete.

For my purposes I need them to be Polygons.  I have had a google and can see that there is a method to convert lines to polygons, but I think this only applied in newer versions of arcmap.

To save me tracing each polyline (there is a lot!) is there a way I can turn these polylines into polygons, autocompleting the small section that is missing?

Thank you!

PS - I attach an image with a red circle to show the issue!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Simon, 

The function Construct Polygons looks like it's available in 10.2 - ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) 

Is this the tool you're referencing or different?

If you've got an Advanced license, the Feature to Polygon might help too: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) 

Carmel

SimonLaughton
New Contributor III

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

It looks like the Construct Polygon tool only works for line features which are already fully complete (ie no gaps). All of the polylines I need to turn into polygons have tiny gaps and so are not complete.

I almost need an “autocomplete to polygon” tool.

Over the weekend we upgraded from 10.2 to 10.4, but I do not seem to have the Feature to Polygon tool. Perhaps I do not have a licence advanced enough for that.

Thank you!

Simon Laughton

Graphic Designer

01626 215765

Simon.laughton@teignbridge.gov.uk<mailto:Simon.laughton@teignbridge.gov.uk>

PLEASE NOTE MY WORKING HOURS AT 8AM to 1PM, MON, WED, THUR, FRI.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Simon, 

Another workflow is suggested here: convert line to polygon in ArcGIS - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange  although the Feature Vertices To Points—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop  tool requires an Advanced License also. 

If you don't have an Advanced License, you could use Generate Points Along Lines—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop instead (Make sure to use an appropriate distance that will help keep the line/polygon shape). This tool create points along each line and associated the ID of the line to them.

Then run Points To Line—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop and in the Line Field use choose the ID field. #

Then you can proceed to the Construct Polygon tool.

Carmel