Installing GeoAnalytics in Azure

07-01-2018 02:25 AM
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi all

We would like to do our first GeoAnalytics install in Azure.

We looked at the help/youtube/slides but still have a few questions (we would like to do it right the first time).

I would like some feedback about my ideas.

1) We need the basic installation that still shows the way it works. We should have 7 machines (portal, 3 GeoAnalytics, 3 temporal).

2) In the builder we select the GeoAnalytics option, we do not start with enterprise and then go to GeoAnalytics.

3) What do we set in the number of machine? 3 machine? then where is the portal? Do we need to add the other 3 temporal machine later - how do we create the 7 machine configuration (or is there a better configuration).

4) Is the Pro installed as part of the configuration if we like to use it to run the GeoAnalytics?

Thanks

Mody

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't have time to respond to all questions, but can address #4 now.  No, ArcGIS Pro is not installed as part of installing any part of ArcGIS Enterprise, including ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server.

For #2, you state "in the builder," can you elaborate?  If you are referring to ArcGIS Enterprise Builder, that is the wrong tool to build a multi-machine base deployment.

ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

We are using the cloud builder for Azure.

We tried to install the enterprise first (1 machine) Then we will try to add 3 more temporal machines and finaly install 3 GeoAnalytics machine and connect them to the first machine.

Is that correct?

Thanks

0 Kudos
NoahSlocum
Esri Contributor

Hi Mody, thanks for the questions! Here are some answers in addition to Joshua's post above:

1. Yes, this is a valid configuration for getting started with GeoAnalytics. You should have one machine for your base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment and a matching number of GeoAnalytics and Spatiotemporal Big Data Store machines.

2. Your GeoAnalytics machines should be deployed last. The recommended workflow is:
    1. Create a base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise using ArcGIS Enterprise Cloud Builder for Microsoft Azure (see Deploy ArcGIS Enterprise on Microsoft Azure—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise).
    2. Add Spatiotemporal Big Data Store machines to your base deployment (see Add a spatiotemporal big data store to ArcGIS Enterprise—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise).
    3. Run Cloud Builder once again to create a GeoAnalytics Server site. You can provide the credentials of your base deployment under Federation Options and Cloud Builder will federate your GeoAnalytics Server site with the base deployment for you (see Add an ArcGIS Server site to your Enterprise deployment—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise).

3. What do we set in the number of machine? 3 machine?

When deploying your GeoAnalytics Server site with Cloud Builder, you should un-check the Single machine deployment option and specify that you would like 3 machines in your site.

then where is the portal? Do we need to add the other 3 temporal machine later - how do we create the 7 machine configuration

Portal will be installed with the base deployment (see item 2.i above) and your Spatiotemporal Big Data Store machines should be added to the base deployment after it is configured (see item 2.ii above).

4. Joshua is correct in that Pro is not installed with ArcGIS Enterprise. You should install Pro locally and then connect to your Enterprise from the application. Please see Manage portal connections from ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop for more information. 

Let me know if anything above does not make sense and I would be happy to explain more  

ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Noah

That is a great answer that makes everything clear.

We have some problem creating our basic enterprise machine.

Below you can see the parameter file and the error.

Note that we use North Europe

I opened a call on this but I think it will take time since it is 4th of July.

If you (or anybody else) have an immediate answer it will be great.

Have a nice holiday!!

Deployment Summary

Region:- northeurope
DNS Name:- arcgisbigdata.northeurope.cloudapp.azure.com
Create New:- Yes
Resource Group:- ArcGisBigData
Web GIS:- Yes
Server Role:- HostingServer
From Esri Image:- Yes
Image Name:- ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6
Total Machines:- 1
Machine Names:- miWebGIS-Pri
Time Zone:- Jerusalem Standard Time
Enable OS Updates:- No
Remote Desktop:- Yes (Port 3389)
ARM Resource Prefix:- mi
Deployment Storage Account:- sysbigdata (ArcGisBigData) (northeurope)
Preserve artifacts:- Yes
Use Cloud Storage:- No

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Noah

It is almost ready. We have the 3 temporal machine connected.

I asked for 3 GeoAnalytics machines but got 3 GeoAnalytics + one fileserver machine.

My understanding is that you need odd number of GeoAnalytics machines.

Should I add one or delete them and ask for 4 machines?

Thanks

0 Kudos
NoahSlocum
Esri Contributor

Mody,

I am glad to hear your deployment is coming along. You will be fine with 3 Spatiotemporal Big Data Store machines. Because the GeoAnalytics file server will not be doing any computation and will not be writing to the Spatiotemporal Big Data Store it does not need to be considered. 

Best Regards,
Noah 

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Noah

The Spatiotemporal Big Data Store machines are fine.

My question is about the GeoAnalytics machines.

I asked for 3 machines and got 2 + file server machine.

Should I ask for 4 (and get 3 GeoAnalytics + 1 file server), Is there a way in the cloud builder not to get the file server machine?

How do I get the best configuration?

Thanks

0 Kudos
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hi Mody Buchbinder‌,

Yes, if you want 3 GeoAnalytics machines for analysis, you should re-do it with 4 machines: 3 GeoAnalytics, and 1 File Server. The file share machine doesn't need to have the same memory/cores as your GeoAnalytics machine. For example, you could do 1 core, with decent memory and good IO. This machine is used for backup and recovery.

Thanks,

Sarah

Product Engineer, GeoAnalytics Team

0 Kudos