Offset Label Under Label Inside Polygon

08-01-2018 10:02 AM
LindsayWadsworth
New Contributor

Labeling is my issue.  In 10.6.1 esri fixed the labeling inside a polygon issues.  Like remove duplicates. Which is great.  but I am still having some issues with offsetting the labels inside the polygon.  Please take a look at the two screen shots.  SS 1 (client supplied map) is what I am attempting to do, and SS 2 (my map) is what I am coming up with.

Arcmap 10.6.1

Windows 10 Pro

Maplex Labeling Engine.

I have the big number as an annotation, and am trying to offset the small numbers just underneath the big one, then convert that to annotation as well.

Thanks very much in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Lindsay. Simply adding a field and populating it with smaller height number will allow you to "stack" the two as you desire in the same label.

VB expression I use: first field/space/&/vbnewline/space/&/space/"second field. After your best configuration in Maplex, convert to your anno feature class. . . .

Good luck!,

Joe

0 Kudos
LindsayWadsworth
New Contributor

Joe, this is excellent, and i am 99% there now.  However, and maybe this isn't possible. But can I make one font bigger than the other?

Here is my VB: [SEC] & vbnewline & [TWP]&"-"&[RGE] &" W"&

I would like the SEC font to be 2x as big as the lower line, I cannot see how to do that in Maplex.

Thanks for helping so quickly as well.  Amazing.

Lindsay

0 Kudos
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

You easily add to the expression you have built.. . .always save your expressions somewhere handy.

Tag attributes may be surrounded by either single or double quotes. The following statements are equivalent:

Annotation
<FNT name='Arial' size='18'>My text</FNT> <FNT name="Arial" size="18">My text</FNT>
Label Expression
"<FNT name=""Arial"" size=""18"">" & [LABELFIELD] & "</FNT>" "<FNT name='Arial' size='18'>" & [LABELFIELD] & "</FNT>"
0 Kudos
LindsayWadsworth
New Contributor

Hello Again Joe, I was just going down the google road when you replied.  The part that I am having trouble understanding is where to insert the tag.

Here is what my code looks like now:

Function FindLabel ( [SEC], [TWP], [RGE], )
FindLabel ="<FNT name=""Arial"" size=""18"">" & [SEC] & vbnewline & [TWP]&"-"&[RGE] &" W"&
End Function

But it does really nothing other than actually put that tag in the label.  I know I am close, but soooooo far.  See attached picture.

0 Kudos
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

You just need to open the "Label expression" dialog box, next to the Text string in the Label Manager. You need some more spaces (six) around the ampersands . . .[TWP] & "-" & [RGE] & " W" & ...

Click verify, correct if needed and OK.

0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Another approach: keep your existing big number annotation. In the feature weights area of your labeling tools (don't know what this is called in Pro), there should be an option to apply weights to annotation. If there is, like in ArcMap 10.4, then give big number annotation some weight, e,g.  100. That should keep labels from drawing on top of it.

But, I think the original answer gives you more spacing and other control; it just takes some getting used to format tagging syntax.

0 Kudos