Linear referencing vs. location referencing

07-31-2018 09:45 AM
SheilaChurchill1
New Contributor II

ArcMap had linear referencing (dynamic segmentation in ArcWorkstation) which could create and overlay point and line event tables along routes. ArcGIS Pro also has the linear referencing toolbox, but no explanation in help or tutorials. But in Pro there is also a location referencing toolbox, which seem similar but is linked to Pipline Referencing (new to Pro) and seems to need additional licensing. Can anyone explain the differences between the two, and point me to any documentation or tutorials (besides just the tool references)? As well, is pipeline referencing designed as a way to work with utilities in a file geodatabase, as opposed to the new Utilities extension which needs an enterprise geodatabase?

Sheila Churchill

2 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Sheila,

Good question.  This came up in Re: Is there an 'Identify Route' tool?

My response on that thread:

I wanted to follow up to make sure the community is clear on the roadmap for linear referencing.  While we have the geoprocessing tools in Pro, we currently do not have the equivalent commands from the ArcMap toolbar.  Pipeline Referencing is a new extension for ArcGIS Pro and since that is currently available to customers, there is an Identify Route tool associated with that extension.  

There is work to be done on the development side of things to bring linear referencing capabilities to Pro that are equivalent to (and better when possible) ArcMap.  The work just hasn't been done yet.  So Joe, I don't want this thread to be ended with the misperception that doing your linear referencing work in Pro will now cost you something.  It won't.  The plan is to provide functionality in Pro that will allow you to complete the linear referencing work that you currently do in ArcMap.  We just aren't there yet.  Thanks for the patience as this is built out in Pro.

Hope this helps.

AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Updating this thread for completeness and available releases as of 2022.

• ArcGIS Pro 2.9 introduced a Linear Referencing tab on the ribbon that provides a new way to manage, visualize, and process measured data. Additional functionality to update route meaures has been introduced.
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.9  Find Routes to search by providing a Route Identifier and measure value without having to know the exact coordinates of the routes.

Linear ReferencingLinear Referencing

• ArcGIS Pro 2.4.  viewing measures was added to the Navigation > Explore tool and includes additional measure fields in the pop-up display. Identify Route tool capabilities are documented as View Route measures.
Identify MeasureIdentify Measure

The above functions do not require advanced LRS licensing like Pipeline Referencing or Roads & Highways. Related Blog: How to choose between linear referencing and location referencing

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
Tags (1)
0 Kudos